We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damp and cold

Which Side hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton on Sea. UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Damp and cold

We stayed a month in March and the apartment was very damp and cold.Is this the norm for apartments in Side area

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damp and cold

Yes = March can be very cold = but it should not be damp there/

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damp and cold

Yes, March is about the coldest month, with the slowly cooling down temperatures in winter and the influence of the snow on the mountains. Damp it can be if there is a lot of rain, and there was a good deal of that this year.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damp and cold

hi eenide,

it could be..March is still early in the season in Side and could be cold with rain..or it could be nice as well..it can vary..as no one can predict the weather..here we are in mid-may and its been raining for a couple of days here in Antalya

Sutton on Sea. UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damp and cold

We hired from Horizons Turkey arriving beginning of March.The apartment was extremely cold and damp.The heating was set up for the summer months and although a person from the builders visited on the second day it was like that until some friends came to alter it .We were still extremely cold and consequently were both extremely ill for the whole of our stay. I advise anyone dealing with this company for a winter stay to make sure that the apartment is heated in advance as the representative of this company will not admit to any failings and even though I also sent photos of the peeling damp walls he doesn't seem to think any compensation is due. In fact his advice was to take up his offer and move to another apartment. We didn't move as were aware of other developments with the same conditions..The positive side of this is the apartment was really comfortable and well furnished for a very enjoyable holiday .The owners have given a lot of thought to any people renting and doesn't deserve to be let down by this rental company.

Side, Turkey
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damp and cold

All you have to do on the air con remote is change it from cool to heat & increase the temperature setting. As the temperature can change from cold to pretty warm by the day & people can vary on what they like, it would be very hard for them to set the remotes to suit everyone.

Sutton on Sea. UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Damp and cold

The apartment should have been heated well before our arrival .I would think that the owners pay for this service to the rental company.

Side, Turkey
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damp and cold

I don't know of any rental company that preheats apartments prior to guests arrival. I know of people who rent their places out & it has never come up before. Maybe if you rent again, you could request it to be done as its not something any company does as standard.

Sutton on Sea. UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Damp and cold

Then the rental company Horizons need to give the heating a thought as the beds were exceedingly damp. There representative did, days late,r offer a move but the damage was done and we were both too ill to move plus the added prospect of another cold and damp apartment. This apartment Mirage H3 was unfit for occupation for the first 3 or 4 days.

As the place is so well fitted out and on a really lovely development the owners cannot be made responsible for the lack of attention to these details .This is surely the responsibility of the rental company who to my disgust are treating the matter with total unconcern.

Side, Turkey
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Damp and cold

The rental company are not responsible for the maintenance of the properties, this is down to the owners who should be paying someone to come in & air the property on a regular basis to stop this happening so no one then has to go through what you did.

Most people who have property here have someone they trust or a company to open the place up regularly because what you experienced is common if not. Regularly aired apartments don't suffer from this.

Sutton on Sea. UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Damp and cold

Thank you Chelsiegirl .. You are making me understand how this all works. I know that Kaya homes have the keys as their gateman let us in on arrival. I cannot give enough praise to these workers as each and every one of them gave us every assistance if needed. ie: when the hot water packed up. They had an engineer with us that afternoon .They always offered help with our shopping if needed any help in carrying it. This was also our experience in Oasis a couple of years ago. This is the reason I cannot understand that their rep should visit us on the day after our arrival and set the heating. ( wrongly it would seem). Although I have dealt with similar, I could not get it to warm let alone hot. On the third day our friends ( who live nearby in a Kaya developement) came and fixed it for us. I cannot say if the owner is aware of these problems as I think she is from some other country. She has certainly thought of everything else to make the place comfortable and everything needed is provided. Thank you again for your comments I appreciate them. I do however feel badly let down by the rental company manager who has still not returned my initial deposit despite us departing Side on 29th March. He has been of no help whatsoever over the whole sorry business.