We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

Save Topic
Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

Hello, my name is Chris and my girlfriend and I have booked to go to barut andiz for 11 nights end if July. First of all what a helpful forum! Picked up loads of tips, we are definitely going to book the white water rafting and a meal at conny's.

The money question I have is mainly because I have a Halifax clarity credit card which doesn't charge me any fees for withdrawing cash abroad, (there may be a charge for usingbthe machine but im hoping they will be free) is there really any point in us taking pounds to exchange for lire as surely I can just withdraw lire straight from the ATM? And my understanding is that MasterCard give the best conversion rate of that particular day of the transaction.....

1 other question so far is will the hotel supply towels for the beach?

Thanks for all the interesting reads so far guys!

Kind regards,

Chris

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

Hi Chris. Just bring enough lira for your first day or so. Withdrawing from ATMs is easy. I just used to make sure I did it during office hours and at a bank in the very unlikely event of a hiccup. All ATMs give you the option to select English. Just don't let anyone "help" you ...... You may need some sterling for your flights.

I love Side and always take visitors there (because I like it lol)

Edited: 02 July 2014, 15:29
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,258 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

Yes, the Andiz will supply you with beach/pool towels & a complementary roomy beach bag. Towel exchange is in the spa, under reception.

london
Level Contributor
372 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

I found that locals wanted Euros and you had better value than using Lira also its gets a bit confusing working out both currencies.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

Lira is the local currency. Prices are often displayed in Euro for convenience. Pre Euro the prices in touristy shops were displayed in a myriad of currencies.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 03:23
Glasgow
Level Contributor
326 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

I've been going to Side 3+ times a year since 2006 & have always used Lira, you definitely don't get better value by using Euro. Lira is the local currency, so that's what you should be using. In my experience you get a better rate in the bank, but the Post Office also does good rates.

london
Level Contributor
372 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

The prices quoted were better last week in euro that was my experience. I had both currencies and they gave you a better price if you paid in Euro. Each time I paid in Lira it worked out more expensive not much but alittle more

7. Re: Turkey virgin and money question again (sorry)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Side