We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Truro, Cornwall
1 post
2 reviews
Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Many people tell me not to take Turkish Lira, just take Euros to spend in Turkey .. can anyone advise me what is best????

Jill Cornwall

281 replies to this topic
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Hi Jill

To be honest i would take a small amount of Euro and get turkish lira with Pounds sterling when you get there. All 3 currencies are used i.e 3 T shirts for £10 in the markets but on the dolmus or in restaurants you can use Euro or Turkish lira. In my opinion you get more for your money on the dolmus using TL.

There is a link on where to buy currency at the top right of this page.

I hope this helps.

Carlisle, United...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

take turkish lira a lot easier

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Exchange a little into Lira before you go for the first day or so while you get your bearings. If you have Euro left from previous trips bring them along as well but don't bother exchanging to Euro before you travel. The rate of exchange is always slightly better here in Turkey than the UK. GBP are widely accepted except on dolmus and in smaller shops. There are plenty of exchange office and banks. Don't exchange at your hotel though as they generally offer a lower rate :o)

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

At the moment you are getting 2.4 lira to the £ in the Uk and 2.5 in Turkey. Always use lira in the resort.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

hi jumb,,,,deff turkish lira,,,,you get a better price on every thing,,,,the euro..in kuss prices,,,is for the tourists of the the big ships that call in kuss the princes and the rest,,and thay will pay in euros,so get lira,,the best place for changeing cash is the ex,office,in the grand bazar,just up to the left from the port,,its just down the bazar ally with a gold shop on each side,,its the one used by the carpet men,ect,,,and thay want the best price,,,for euros ect,,,, bye

Monmouth, United...
2 posts
6. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

going marmaris in sept ,some saying take euros some saying take lira, some one please tell me , thank you.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Hi

Maybe exchange 10 or 20 pounds of sterling to TL in the uk to get you by until you can exchange pounds to TL at the exchanges in Marmaris. If you can avoid it dont change money in the hotels.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Philip, I can't understand why people are telling you to take euros. Please take the advice on this forum - just have a little amount in lira to take over with you and then change your sterling in resort.

When shopping, you will very often be asked whether you want to pay in sterling or lira. Know what the exchange rate is so that you know which is the best deal for you. Say you want to buy something that is £10 in sterling and they say you can have it for 25 lira. If you have been getting 27 lira for your £10, then it's better to pay in lira, but if they say 29 lira, then it's better to pay in sterling. Hope that makes sense.

Jak xx

Monmouth, United...
2 posts
9. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

thank you jak

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?

Why Euro? Just change some TL b4 u fly n bring sterling for exchange later in Tky.That will save u from double exchange loss.

Reply to: Turkish Lira or Euros .. what is the best currency to take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi
Recent Conversations