We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Macclesfield
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Hello,

This is my first time abroad (girly holiday) We have booked in at the Batihan Beach and Spa Resort for 2 weeks in the beggining of May ( not far away i know we booked in july 2012- its flown by)

Just after general advice, where to go, where not to go etc.

Thankyou

Edited: 17 April 2013, 16:44
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

hi,nice hotel but a bit out of town if your looking for livley nights,however the dolmus goes from outside into the center every 15 mins or so from early am until midnight. your left on the beach but as its in a group of4/5 hotels it may get a little crowded,try turning right as you come out on the beach past the waterpark,very small and mostly for younger kids, till you come to star beach, less noise and people also sells great gozlemes.you are pribably A.I but do try the mare bistro opposite,not the cheapest but defo the best food on long beach.plenty to do in town lots of places to eat and drink until the wee hours but i'm too old for all that so i'll leave it for someone else to tell you the best places to go :-).have a good hol

Edited: 17 April 2013, 17:45
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

HI Sophie, firstly I think May is a lovely time to go, April/May have the most sunshine hours and it wont be too hot. Suggest taking some mossie spray - the local one - Sin Kov I think its called - is very good. Night-time is the worst for mossies. For a non-chemical one use Rosewater & Glycerin (from Boots) and add about 25 drops of Essential Oil of Citronella, & put in a spray bottle.

High-factor sun cream is essential, but can be expensive to buy in Turkey - imported goods are expensive. Its best to buy some before you go.

If it gets hot at night, just rinse your night-wear in cold water.

The food is mostly fresh - straight from the hills and mountains & generally delicious & reasonably priced. Its best not to eat food that has been left outside - open to flies etc.!

You have to put your loo paper in bins provided (Turkish plumbing cannot accomodate it) buit you soon get used to that.

There are ATMs, but be wary, they can misfunction. Its best to take about £20 worth of Turkish Lira with you for the first day, then change money as you go. To change, some jewellers will change to Lira, or there are DOVIS exchanges. ALWAYS calculate how many Lira to the £ you should have, and count the money before you leave the exchange. Travellers cheques can be difficult to change in Turkey & may be subject to extra commission.

Chemists (PHARMACY) ARE GENERALLY VERY GOOD. You can buy our prescription drugs in Turkey over the counter, if available, & they are cheaper. If you are ill, just ask to see the PHARMACIST & you will get a free consultation. Some of our drugs are illegal in Turkey, so if you are on a powerful drug such as sleeping tablets, its best to take a copy of your prescription.

Dont be tempted to take antiques or bits of stone from Ephesus out of the country - its illegal. To take antiques home you need to get a special certificate at the time of sale.

If you're invited to a carpet show - just say NO!. Haggling is expected - always only offer a third to half of the price the sellor says, and you should end up paying half-way between what the sellor says & what you offer. If you do it with a bit of hum our - "oh come on - I've got 10 children, 3 grandmas & a gold fish to feed" give a nice smile and flash your eyelashes, this may get the price down!

Its best not to drink the water, but bottled water is very cheap & available everywhere.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time, let us know how you get on.

Best wishes, Debbie B

EXCURSIONS - its best to book from the local tour operators - they are cheaper & do the same excursions as hotel tour guides offer.

IF you intend to do "dangerous sports" such as motor-biking, hang-gliding, surfing, do make sure you are fully insured for it - usually you have to click on a separate paragraph in the insurance list to get it.

Always keep all travel booking documents , especially proof of payments - you would have to produce these if a holiday or flight was cancelled. Also keep your suitcase tag at check-in - if you case gets lost you would need to produce this.

DRINKS - all alcoholic drinks are available, but you will pay more for spirits as they are imported. Local beer EFES is very reasonably priced. To avoid tummy bugs, buy bottled drinks.

Macclesfield
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Hi guys!

Thankyou so much for your replies and advice!

Really nervous as it my first time and dont want to do anything illegal ( uk border force etc) ha.

what about eye drops in suitcase currently suffering with conjunctivitus and been advised to take it with me. Is in my suitcase okay?

i will be sure to haggle, well try.

Is there any general rules etc? Covering up which we should be aware off? I want to be sure not to annoy anybody.

Great i will pass these on to my other travellers.

Many thanks

Macclesfield
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Hi guys!

Thankyou so much for your replies and advice!

Really nervous as it my first time and dont want to do anything illegal ( uk border force etc) ha.

what about eye drops in suitcase currently suffering with conjunctivitus and been advised to take it with me. Is in my suitcase okay?

i will be sure to haggle, well try.

Is there any general rules etc? Covering up which we should be aware off? I want to be sure not to annoy anybody.

Great i will pass these on to my other travellers.

i have a clicker for the mozzys and also skin so soft for mozzy as my mum swear by it from avon.

I believe the alcohol beverages are differnt as theu are there own brand. Dont plan to get plastered just a few drinks watching the sun go down.

we chose may purley because it was loads cheaper than going in high peak and also due to college for the other girls there was no exams.

However a few of us have been ill myself with my eye and another with her gall bladder. Luckily she is alot better but docs have given her until sunday to get to 100%.

Would ypu advise going to the rep meeting.

Im so excited!! I know there is a coach transfer also from the airport to the hotel which im hoping is going to be smooth.

I have factor 50 and 30 becauae im pale and nornally go red. I was advised to go on a sunbed to toughen my skin but i havent had time and plus i have got a few moles! I have tons of after sun also .

Thankyou i will sure be in connect when i get back to let you know how it all goes. Thankyou so so much x

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

You can wear your usual clothes no need to cover up as western Turkey is very cosmopolitan and beach resorts used to foreign guests. Out of general respect keep beach wear for the beach / pool and put something over swimwear when going to lunch or walking around the shops / resorts etc but this applies anywhere not just Turkey.

Boots Repel is also good for mozzies and Factor 50 is good - I am fair too and you will still get a colour. Alcohol - our brands are expensive as imported but local spirits , wine , beer are cheaper and taste fine - if you don't like the taste of the spirits try cocktails as with fruitjuice they take the taste of the spirits away and are usually good. A nice cocktail on the beach as the sun goes down in a must !

Don't be nervous - Turkey is a lovely place and the people are very friendly. Behave with common sense and courtesy as you would at home and you will have a wonderful holiday.

Enjoy!

Macclesfield
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Hello!

It was beautiful and im planning on going back to the same hotel next year!

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

Glad you had a good time....we visited on a cruise ship May 13 and enjoyed the city and the ruins..it rained but it did not slow us down....a return trip is a solid possibility....

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

www.youtube.com/watch… nice,,,lary

9. Re: FIRST time to turkey ADVICE? Batihan Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kusadasi