We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Salem, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Just curious as to what is recommended and the pros and cons of doing each? We are mobile and will have a 4 year old boy with us first week of June.

Thanks in advance,

J

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Top to bottom, always better walking downhill, especially if it is hot, you are surrounded by marble it refects heat, you don't want to be walking uphill.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

I agree with Gibson on this go to the top gate. Also particularly with a young child go early say 10am and wear hats and sun cream to protect from the sun. Two hours is probably about average for a good look around then either head back to your hotel or pool to cool off or maybe visit the waterpark on the way back to Kusadasi.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Definitely top gate,then walk downhill,make sure you have plenty of water,suncream and a visit to the loos before you start your wander.

Salem, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Thanks so much for the response. I forgot to add...we are driving ourselves so is parking at the top, working our way down and then climbing back up still the best way?

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

If it was me,I think I'd climb up the hill first whilst it was cooler,then amble downhill and see everything,it's quite a long time to go without a loo so see if possible to go when you reach the top.

Salem, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Excellent point Oscar! I hadn't thought of that. I saw in another post that someone parked at the top, made their way down and then took a taxi up. There are also cart rides, etc. I think we've found our solution. Thanks again everyone.

J

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Even at 10.00 am (or even 9.00 am!) it will be very hot - so I would also recommend you walk down from the top and then take a taxi back to reach your car. Will you be staying the night in Selcuk? If so, your hotel might well offer you a free drop-off and collection from Ephesus.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Car parking at the top is free of charge, if that's of any interest. I usually recommend entering the site at 4.30 p.m. and staying until sundown, but that's for more serious visitors - I mean, with an academic interest. I wish more tourists would take the horse carriages back to the top gate - only Turkish families seem to be comfortable with that option. I suppose the "phaetons" are not cheap, but what's $20 on a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Ideal for a 4 year-old I'd think.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 21:00
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

We also did a self drive and parked at the bottom gate. All the tours and seemingly most visitors go from the top down. Consequently we passed the groups going down, and so we never got stuck behind a tour. Instead, we entered the individual sites after the group had done them. While its really not all that steep, we were happy to be going downhill rather than up at the end. A tout approached us in the parking lot with the offer of a government sponsored van up to the top. Of course this van just happened to stop at a leather factory on the way.

Salem, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ephesus -- Top or Bottom Gate?

Robert, After much reading we will be going later in the day. It sounds so magnificent. I also agree about the carriage. My son will love it.

thank you talb. I,ve heard of the factory.

Jules