We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

Which Kusadasi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampton, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

I am traveling all over Turkey with my wife starting June 8th. I have heard protests are happening in Izmir. Is there any worry for tourists going to Ephesus/Pamukkale?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

There's no worry for tourists anywhere, except that the protests will get in the way if you travel through Taksim and also Izmir.

For Ephesus, I trust that you will be staying in Selcuk itself. Kusadasi and Pamukkale are also fine, of course.

Hampton, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

I am staying in Kusadasi for Ephesus and Pamukale tours. I am staying one night in Izmir. Hope that won't be an issue.

Hampton, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

This is what one of my wife's friends (who is in Turkey right now posted). I personally think she's over-reacting because she said nothing about Sultanahmet district. Thoughts?

So Istanbul is the worst hit - Taksim is completely cordoned off and is in bad shape (I saw the protests live there), other areas such as orthokay etc have been also pretty unsafe. We were out at orthokay on Saturday night and could see a lot of mobs etc in the streets. Other places such as Izmir etc were fine when we went there but have heard that there have been demonstrations in Izmir and Antalaya as well. I would highly recommend avoiding turkey right now, not worth taking the risk.

St.Ives
Level Contributor
240 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

Hopefully others will reply. We have to surely take note of what people who are there in Turkey say. One opinion is not enough though.

What is the protest mostly about, is it pro secular and anti extremist?

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

well were booked to go on the 11th for 3 weeks and as of right now intend to go,we were in egypt at the hight of the revolution and peffectly safe so a few demos and some heavy handed police are not going to stop us unless it degenerates into armed conflict or the foreign office advises against going.also we know many people,ex pats and locals,who all say kusadasi is safe as ever.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

The FCO is asking us to avoid protest areas, which may seem just common sense, but having witnessed first hand the G8 protests in Edinburgh several years ago with tourists moving towards the trouble so they could video it, sometimes it is important to point these things out!

There has been some protests in Izmir and also in Kusadasi, by all accounts peaceful for the minute, stay alert and if you see people congregating in large numbers, quickly vacate the area. if you do find yourself caught up in a protesting crowd, don't try to go against the crowd, make for the nearest hotel or restaurant and wait it out in safety.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

For those that want to find out more

economist.com/blogs/…

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

The protests in Izmir have at times been effected by the heavy handed policing we've seen in Istanbul, but the msot recent info I've seen is that it is at present not being heavily policed.

St.Ives
Level Contributor
240 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

Could someone bother to tell us why there are protests and about what politically?Preferably someone who lives in Turkey.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Izmir/Kusadasi

The protests are aimed at the current prime minister who has a clear Islamic agenda and is becoming increasingly dictatorial. Izmir and the Aegean area have always been staunchly secular and pro-Ataturk. The current prime minister is determined to reverse Ataturk's revolution and return to an Islamic Caliphate, with himself as the leader of the Islamic world.

Tourists and visitors are perfectly safe. All but a minority of the protesters (and they are everywhere) are middle class and educated. The kind of people the current p.m. can't abide.