We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best way to exchange usd for turkish lira?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
what is the best way to exchange usd for turkish lira?

I will be travelling with USD credit card, what is the best option to exchange to TL.?The ATM?

I believe TL is the best mode of payment, exchanging usd to euro will prove too costly I guess.

Please HELP.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best way to exchange usd for turkish lira?

Take a debit card and get money out of ATMs. If you use a credit card to get money, you start paying interest immediately.

Many local merchants will accept euros, but at a poor exchange rate. Pay with lira.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best way to exchange usd for turkish lira?

If you happen to have USD saved up, bring the cash with you. In Kusadasi main street - the pedestrianized area leading up from the port - you will find one or two DOVIZ (exchange) offices, and many jewellers. Check the rates as you go by. You will see that the margin between buying & selling rates is very small. You should get good value there. No need to change into EUROS, unless you happen to have € cash anyway.

For security, ATM's are ideal, but you will lose a bit in every transaction, depending on the charge your own bank makes.

3. Re: what is the best way to exchange usd for turkish lira?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18