We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help requested by first time visitors

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help requested by first time visitors

We are a family that will be visiting Bursa for 4 days during the start of August.

We would be very thankful if you would help us with the following:

1) must see, we are interested in both historical, religious and also natural sites

2) name few restaurants

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

Hi, Bursa is my hometown.

If you're interested in history you should visit ulucami, green mosque and green tomb (yesil cami and yesil turbe in turkish), emir sultan mosque, castle, tophane (osmangazi and orhangazi -the first sultans of ottoman empire- tombs are there), muradiye mosque, hudavendigar mosque, grand bazaar, koza han, cumalikizik (an ottoman village).

you should taste bursa kebab (a special meal of bursa). there're good restaurants like "cemal usta" or "iskender". (I recommend "cemal usta")

you have 4 days so you may also visit uludag national park. ( a mountain with the height of 2543 mt.)

have a nice trip.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

The Muradiye complex in Bursa is very special, and in a lovely old part of town.

At the western end of the city, Çekirge has some very old hammams, with natural hot springs coming from below Mt Olympos (now Uludağ).

The famous "İskender Kebab" originated in Bursa, I believe.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

Thank you Belirgin and Robert L. for your replies.

your adviceses will be very helpful. I hopeing that I can get names of more restaurents in Bursa.

How far is Uludag from the city & and is the trip to the national park complicated ?

Final question, is the Sheraton Hotel a good choice and is it resonabily positioned in relation to the sites you adviced we should visit ?

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

Retaurants: you can also visit "hayat lokantasi". you may choose special turkish meals there. and I also recommend "süt helvası" as desert at "hayat lokantasi". you should eat "pideli kofte" at "bursa kebapcisi" (restaurant's name) near to Koza Han. you shoul also try "kestane sekeri" another desert unique to bursa. i give you the turkish names so you ask to the natives easily.

bursa is located near the Uludag. you can go there by miniibus where you can find near the castle. the trip takes 30-40 minutes by minibusses. I dont want to feed your expectations about Uludag. Its a ski center. so in winter its more attractive. in summer its also crowded. but there isnt much to do. you can only see around. trees etc :)

Sheraton Hotel is a good hotel. it's in the centre of the city and transportation to the historical sites of the city is not so complicated. But if i were you i would choose thermal hotels in "çekirge". kervansaray hotel, gonluferah hotel, marigold hotel are some of them. they are all 4 or 5 star hotels. they are very near to the touristic sites of the city. also you can benefit from the natural spring, turkish baths there.

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

you can also visit old plane tree in Bursa. it's very interesting.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

Belirgin, could clarify what is "old plane tree"?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

Berligin, could you clarify what is "old plane tree"?

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

A plane tree. which is very old. about 600 years old. Here are some photos.

http://www.google.com.tr/search?q=bursa+tarihi+%C3%A7%C4%B1nar&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uA--UeE0i8G0BoPKgJgH&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=673

9. Re: Help requested by first time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 07:37