We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANZAC Day Commemorations

Mugla, Turkey
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
ANZAC Day Commemorations

Just days before thousands of guests from Australia and New Zealand descend on a small cove overlooking the Çanakkale Strait, Turkey is taking every precaution necessary to ensure that there are no disturbances on ANZAC Day.

On April 24-25, guests from Australia and New Zealand will attend the commemorative ceremony for the fallen World War I soldiers of the Australia and New Zealand Corps (ANZAC).

Armed soldiers from elite units and a horse-mounted jandarmerie unit, originally deployed in the historic and geographically challenging Cappadocia region of central Turkey, with will be deployed at the Gelibolu (Gallipoli) Peninsula where ANZAC troops landed 102 years ago.

Starting on April 3, jandarmerie troops began around-the-clock patrols of the area. The total number of troops will reach 1,500 for the two-day commemoration events. The mounted troops will provide security at the dawn service for the foreign troops and they will also join a symbolic march of a World War I Ottoman brigade.

Jandarmerie troops will be deployed at every site included in the commemoration ceremonies, from Lone Pine Ridge to Conkbayırı (Chunuk Bair), as well as at the cemeteries of Ottoman troops. Mounted personnel will provide security services in the steep areas that are inaccessible with motor vehicles.

In the 1920s, the first ceremonies memorializing the tens of thousands of soldiers were held throughout Australia and in the 1940s veterans from World War II started joining the various parades.

Although the number of people attending the ceremonies declined in the 1960s and 1970s, interest rose again in the 1990s and continues today with large turnouts in recent years.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Anzac Hotel
Anzac Hotel
333 Reviews
Canakkale, Turkey
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
4 replies to this topic
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANZAC Day Commemorations

Thank you Alan - I was in Çanakkale last year at that time, because I'd met a couple of Australians here and they were frightened off by their (blanket) government advice but already regretting their decision to fly off to Athens after enjoying a day here in Selcuk and realising they were perfectly safe in Turkey.

So, since they weren't going, I got in my car the next day and drove up to Gallipoli myself. I'd go to Canakkale just to enjoy the Limani Hotel restaurant, anyway.

I'd better go back this year too. Normally I prefer to visit the area when nobody else is around, but this year I could show solidarity, just in case anyone else turns up.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Canakkale
Canakkale
Canakkale Province, Turkey
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANZAC Day Commemorations

Here's the latest official Australian government advice...

smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/t…

Mugla, Turkey
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ANZAC Day Commemorations

Having read more baised and negative media reports and government advice I have also posted on both Australian and New Zealand TP Forums.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ANZAC Day Commemorations

And I've added the official Government advice, so people can make up their own minds...

Reply to: ANZAC Day Commemorations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canakkale