We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best area to stay in Çanakkale

Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The best area to stay in Çanakkale

Hello. I'm searching hotels and wondering which area is the best to stay in. We have a car. Thanks in advance...... :)

Hotel Limani
Hotel Limani
#1 of 35 hotels in Canakkale
Artur Hotel
Artur Hotel
#2 of 35 hotels in Canakkale
Grand Anzac Hotel
Grand Anzac Hotel
#3 of 35 hotels in Canakkale
7 replies to this topic
Gallipoli, Turkey
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

if you want to visit the battlefields it is better to stay in Eceabat as you won't have to take the ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Eceabat
Eceabat
Canakkale Province, Turkey
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

I agree, but it might depend on the time of year. In any case, it's easiest to park the car near the ferry in Eceabat even if you prefer, as I do, to stay on the harbour front in Canakkale where parking is quite difficult.

Limani Hotel is very nice and has an excellent restaurant, right on the harbour-side in Canakkale. If you can manage to stop for a moment at their front door they'll whisk your car away for free parking.

Hotel Konak in the next street back is a cheaper alternative (my preference) but overnight parking at one of the crowded car-parks nearby will cost 15 - 25 TL.

Canakkale is lively, educated and fun. Eceabat is much quieter but has some perfectly OK eateries / cafes.

Mentioned in this post
Eceabat
Eceabat
Canakkale
Canakkale
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

Hi Robert (sorry to bust in on your thread Mandy)

is parking on the Eceabat foreshore possible and safe? - we have 3 nights and I don't fancy putting the car on the ferry twice a day to travel from our hotel (not booked yet) in Canakkale to the battlefields and back

many thanks

helen

Mentioned in this post
Eceabat
Eceabat
Canakkale
Canakkale
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

Oh yes Helen, parking at the sea front in Eceabat is absolutely ideal, whichever side of the Dardanelles you choose to stay. It's free, near restaurants, cafes and a pub, just 100 metres to the ferry, you walk past an interesting replication of the Gallipoli trenches....

But, as the-p-g says above - perhaps you should stay in Eceabat? (I have no personal experience of the hotels.)

Mentioned in this post
Eceabat
Eceabat
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Gallipoli, Turkey
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

I wouldn't say it is unsafe but due to the increased number of Turkish visitors -especially over the weekend- it might not be that easy to leave your car that close to the ferry.

Edited: 06 May 2015, 12:29
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

Any recommendations for a higher end hotel like a boutique style 4 or 5 star in Canakkale? Not sure if the reader has found a hotel but thought I would also check - many thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best area to stay in Çanakkale

We ended up leaving our car about 100m along the waterfront from the ferry terminal in Eceabat each night. No problems at all except for a coat of salt (the wind had whipped up lots of spray during the night).

The queue on the afternoon we wanted to take the car across to Canakkale was monsterously long and many buses were pushing to the head of the queue. We calculated how long we might have to wait and decided a far better option would be to drive down to Kilitbahir. We did this, drove straight onto the ferry and were back in Canakkale before we would have progressed more than a few metres in the Eceabat line.

cheers

helen

Mentioned in this post
Eceabat
Eceabat
Canakkale
Canakkale
Reply to: The best area to stay in Çanakkale
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canakkale