We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental from Istanbul

washington
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental from Istanbul

I want to visit Troy/Canakkale next september and looks like renting a car in Istanbul and take the ferry at Yenikepi for Bandirma is easier that taking a taxi to the bus terminal at Bandirma, then the bus, then some other bus to Troy, and repeat this all on our way back.

I see that the only places to rent cars in Istanbul are around Taksim. How difficult is to drive from Taksim to Yenikepi?

Mentioned in this post
Canakkale
Canakkale
Canakkale Province, Turkey
3 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,429 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental from Istanbul

I have just finalised a car rental for pick-up at Istanbul airport for the day after I arrive in Turkey (no way would I drive straight off a long haul flight) - to drive to Canakkale (Gallipoli) and then round the coast to Antalya. I booked via Budget, pick up is at the airport, compact diesel car, 2nd driver, couldn't have been easier - I'm not sure why you say all hire places are around Taksim - there are heaps operating out of the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Canakkale
Canakkale
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental from Istanbul

Welcome back, diana2008. If you choose to rent a car in Istanbul, it doesn't make much sense to drive to the ferry at Yenikapi. I suggest you get your car from IST Ataturk Airport and then (after using tram / metro / taxis in Istanbul if you're there for a night or two) head west along the motorway. Turn south to TEKIRDAG, and then south again at KESAN. It's about 4 - 5 hours driving.

If you were relying on Google Maps for guidance it may be that they don't know about the regular ferry across the Dardanelles from ECEABAT to Canakkale - every hour, takes 25 minutes, cost 25 TL.

Edited: 17 August 2015, 21:37
Mentioned in this post
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Tekirdag
Tekirdag
Tekirdag Province, Turkey
Kesan
Kesan
Edirne Province, Turkey
Canakkale
Canakkale
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental from Istanbul

PS - If all this effort is just to visit TROY, and you have no interest in the Gallipoli Campaign, or in going further South to Pergamum and Ephesus, then I fear you'll be sadly disappointed.

Canakkale town is well worth a visit if you are interested in recent Turkish history.

Mentioned in this post
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Reply to: car rental from Istanbul
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Canakkale