We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

With a coachful of schoolchildren, how long would it take to get from Istanbul to Cappadocia? Are there any interesting sights along the way that could break up the journey with a night or two?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

Goreme is a 730 km ( about 500mile ) ride from Istanbul, it's not a short trip.. about 10 to 12 hours).

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…ist_cappa.html

are you travelling on a private bus with these school children ??? are you going to travel by day ???

Use the otoyol (expressway) between Istanbul and Ankara to save time, then follow the E-90 highway south from Ankara to Aksaray, then go east along the ancient Silk Road to Nevsehir.

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

The journey by bus takes approx 16 hours.For simple logistics it may be easier to fly which only takes an hour and a half.Flight prices are only slightly more than the buses.There are flights into Nevşehir and also Kayseri regularly.

Of course there are places you could stop on the way such as Ankara but it depends on how much time you have to play with-and how long the kids are likely to sit still on a bus!

Mentioned in this post
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

I would also maybe say ...stay in ankara for the night and then the students can learn about the history of the forming of the turkish republic..be sure to take them to the Mausoleum of Ataturk ( Anitkabir ), The museum of Anatolian Civilizations, include Citadel, Ethnographic museum, for a longer stay..

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

lol...sarikanarya..us posting at the same time..

just also to say that most travellers use this route at night with overnight buses

here are the times

9001 İST-ANKARA-NEVŞEHİR 08:00 19:30 SETRA 60,00 YTL

9001 İST-ANKARA-NEVŞEHİR 08:20 19:30 SETRA 60,00 YTL

9001 İST-ANKARA-NEVŞEHİR 09:00 19:30 SETRA 60,00 YTL

9008 İST-NEVŞEHİR 22:00 08:00 SETRA 60,00 YTL

9008 İST-NEVŞEHİR 22:15 08:00 SETRA 60,00 YTL

sorry cannot see it taking 16hours sorry sarikanarya..even Tom's web site sayes this

By Car

It's a long drive (730 km/454 miles, 11 or 12 hours),

so unless you make tons of stops..( possibly with teenagers and bathroom breaks ) it might take longer..or depending on the driver..my hubby could make the trip much shorter..lol

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

Yes you're right I think I was thinking about Kayseri-like 11 hours isn't enough! :)

London
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

Thanks so much all, that's very useful. The flight option certainly looks more sensible, will have to have a think about it!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

your welcome..for flights try Turkish Airlines and Onur Air and book early for the cheapest prices

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

Just a small correction to what was said above: After Ankara, the road that goes through Aksaray is slightly longer and not of better quality. So (I guess) the coaches use the shorter road that goes through Kırıkkale-Kırşehir. But the difference is not much (20-25km). The total distance of 730km given above is through Kırşehir.

The obvious choice to break the trip would be a night in Ankara. If they aren't too small, you can find a museum or two that will interest them here (but wait, I just remembered not all children are history geeks like I was at that age). Or just take the plane.

Mentioned in this post
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

Wondering if you fly between these cities, so you miss out on going anywhere else like ankara? Is it worth going to?

Thanks

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Journey length Istanbul to Fairy Chimneys

queenhelene...I am sorry I dont understand your question..of course if you fly you will miss out on any of the local sights along the way..

If it is your first trip to Turkey..a side trip to ankara might not be worth it depending on how much time you have in your overall holidays..

however I do recommend Ankara as a place to visit for a second trip to Turkey or as a place to visit the rich heritage of not only the Turkish government but the older civilizations that were there before

It is an important crossroads of trade, strategically located at the center of Turkey's highway and railway networks, and serves as the marketing center for the surrounding agricultural area. The city was famous for its long-haired Angora goat and its prized wool (mohair), a unique breed of cat (Angora cat), white rabbits and their prized wool (Angora wool), pears, honey, and the region's muscat grapes.

Anıtkabir

is located on an imposing hill, Anıttepe quarter of the city, where the mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Turkey, stands. Completed in 1953, it is an impressive fusion of ancient and modern architectural styles. An adjacent museum houses a wax statue of Atatürk, his writings, letters and personal items, as well as an exhibition of photographs recording important moments in his life and during the establishment of the Republic. Anıtkabir is open every day, while the adjacent museum is open every day except Mondays.

Ankara Ethnography Museum (Etnoğrafya Müzesi)

This museum is opposite the Opera House on Talat Paşa Boulevard, in the Ulus district. There is a fine collection of folkloric as well as Seljuk- and Ottoman-era artifacts.

Museum of Anatolian Civilizations (Anadolu Medeniyetleri Müzesi)

Situated at the entrance of Ankara Castle, it is an old "bedesten" (covered bazaar) that has been beautifully restored and now houses a unique collection of Paleolithic, Neolithic, Hatti, Hittite, Phrygian, Urartian, and Roman works as well as a major section dedicated to Lydian treasures.

Mentioned in this post
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey