We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia without balloons?

Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia without balloons?

The landscape of Cappadocia looks wonderful, and I'd love to visit. Having said that, I'm very nervous of hot-air balloons, particularly after reading about a recent accident there. Is Cappadocia worth visiting without taking a hot-air balloon ride?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia without balloons?

Goodness yes!Taking a hot air balloon ride just gives you a wonderful and unique perspective of this amazing place but no ones going to force you to do it.

The accident was a tragic but thankfully very rare occurence and ironically the company whose passenger died is probably the best in the business.All reports point to the accident being the fault of another companies' balloon and I feel so sorry for all involved.

If you are nervous of balloons this is maybe not something you would want to do anyway but if this freak event is deterring you please don't allow it to.

Aside from ballooning you can go cycling,trekking,travel around on the local buses,there's lots to do and see.

Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia without balloons?

I'm so glad to hear your advice. No, my fear of hot-air balloons is something I've had since childhood, so it's not just the accident that's holding me back. But it sounds like there are many other ways to see the area. Thanks!

Cappadocia
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia without balloons?

Bakery,

Greetings from Cappadocia.

First of all , most of our guests in Cappadocia go to balloon riding to watch sunset in morning. To be honest , it worths to go there and see all pieces of Cappadocia over 1000 feet.

If you have some fear about balloon , you may try horseback riding in Swords, Love , Rose Valleys or Redriver.

-- Turkish bath in Goreme is also strongly recommended.

-- Turkish nights also enjoyable show to fun people.

-- You may try to have trekking tour among Ihlara canyon or love , red valley.

-- Sunset in redvalley.

All the best

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia without balloons?

We heard about the accident before our trip to Turkey, but were told that the balloons were flying again. We were lucky to get reservations the day before we went up on July 9. Our company, SkyWay Ballons, had a pilot, Troy, who is an expert pilot of 30 years from Albuquerque. He has been flying in Turkey for about 6 months. My husband and I agree that if you are going to take a hot air balloon ride, Cappadocia is definitely the place to do it!

5. Re: Cappadocia without balloons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:16