We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

Hi there. Just wanted some experienced opinions on whether we should get a guided tour of an open air museum (goreme or zelve) or not. If we explore on our own (Two Americans that speak no Turkish), will be able to glean enough from the experience? Or is it one of those places where you really miss out if you don't get a guide. Thanks!

Gocek, Turkiye
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
1. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

I think it's best to do it on your own, with the help of a guidebook.

The guide we heard last year seemed pretty ordinary - plus you have more flexibility if you're on your own.

I would recommend a guide if you go to an underground city, however, our's was really interesting and we would not have had much idea of what we were looking at without him.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

Thank you, Dudisimo, that info is very helpful!

Goreme, Turkiye
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
3. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

Hello maneesha2000;

It is better to visit Göreme Open Air Museum with professinal tourist guide. Because there are 5-6 churches in museum. You can't understand frescoes easily. If you visit with guide. Guide explain you frescoes by one by one. You can understand everything clearly.

Best Regards

Cappadociainfo

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
48 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

Because you're visiting a couple areas in Turkey, I would buy Lonely Planet Turkey (2009). It's filled with information. It's not practical to bring along on the trip (but I've done it). It'll help you learn more about the places and sights you're visiting, and help you decide what to see and do, where to stay, etc.

The Open Air Museum in Goreme is a short walk from town and you won't need a guide per se. However, this site is included in a couple of the day tours offered. So you can see it yourselves (morning is recommended) or select one of the tours where it's included. The rooms in the caves are quite small and not many people can fit inside. There's often a queue of tour groups waiting for others to clear out. This can be irksome when it's 35C in the sun and the tour guide inside is chatting, away oblivious to others waiting outside.

One side note: the best mosaics are in the Dark Church which costs an additional fee (8 TL, I think). It's dark and cool inside and the mosaics are vibrant. Really beautiful. Plus it's not crowded(!).

Read up on Cappadocia and consider which places/sights you'd like to see. Goreme National Park and the 'Rock Sites' are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. You could probably visit all the sights you'd like to see within a couple days.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
142 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

Thanks Globe2! We have Cadogan Turkey & Fodor's Turkey, plus we bought the Mediterranean Coast chapter (PDF version) of Lonely Planet Turkey. If you think LP's Cappadocia chapter is good too, perhaps I'll look into that as well. Love the PDF versions of the book! Can't print out only the necessary parts...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
178 posts
11 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums
Save

well, even if you don't want to hire a guide, you will have some, the place is a bit crowded if you are not there just after opening, so you will hear guide of group before/after you even if you don't want :)

7. Re: Guided tour versus self tour of open air museums

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.