We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

allergies

new york
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
allergies

I would love to stay in one of the boutique cave hotels, but am wondering if it is likely to trigger allergies/asthma. Anybody have any comments on this? Mold is a particular trigger for me. Also, would three nights be too much? And if not a cave hotel, can someone recommend a non-cave hotel in Cappadocia with utter charm and a feeling of history? Do you think three nights would be too long for this area?

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: allergies

Three nights is perfect for visiting the entire area. I can highly recommend the Museum Hotel - some of the rooms are not actual caves and far brighter and more ventilated than the actual cave rooms. I'd suggest you ask for one of those to avoid any asthma triggers on holiday. Also bear in mind that most allergy drugs are easily available over the counter throughout Turkey without a prescription.

Turkey
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: allergies

Hello,

I myself live in Cappadocia and have allergic asthma but do not have any problems in the dry cave rooms at all but the humid cave rooms might have mold and I think that would be a problem for you.

Museum Hotel is a nice hotel but is a little pricy, if you are looking for a more budget place, you can try Buket Cave Hotel, they have cave rooms which should be fine for you and also stone-arch rooms with bigger windows.

Enjoy your trip

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: allergies

Of course, it is impossible to predict what may trigger allergic reactions in different people but I can not think that a cave room would present any particular problems.

We stayed in the Kelebek Hotel for our last visit to Cappadocia, which I would highly recommend. All the rooms are dry - cave and stone - not at all humid. The bathrooms, in common with many cave hotels and other hotels generally, tend to have no windows being ventilated by fan, so I suppose they are more humid, but I certainly didn't see any mould at the Kelebek.

I should think cave rooms, which tend to have wooden floors, would be less likely to cause a problem than many hotels with carpets and more soft furnishings which encourage dust mites.

One or two people have mentioned finding a little dust on the surfaces, although I certainly never noticed any. This shouldn't really be a problem either as it is just natural soft sandstone from the cave walls or ceilng, rather than old dust with spores, dead skin, and dust mites!!

4. Re: allergies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 06:19