We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cave hotel and claustrophobia

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cave hotel and claustrophobia

We are having a 3 night stay in cappadocia in May next year and are looking at the wonderful hotels on offer. But both my husband and I suffer from claustraphobia and are concerned that we may not be able to stay in a cave room. Are there any with an opening to the outside?

Thanks

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

We booked at the Kelebek Hotel in Goreme. We liked the fact that you can see photos of each room and can pick your specific room with some knowledge. While we aren't claustrophobic, we also didn't want a room that seemed dark and closed in feeling. It was really helpful because we emailed the hotel some specific questions (we are travelling with 2 teenaged sons, so we were originally looking at 2 rooms but wanted them close together, so they gave us a list of rooms that are close to each other). We ended up going with the Eagles Nest Suite (Gorgeous and guaranteed no claustrophobia) which isn't a cave room, but still looks very atmospheric. When we looked at our selection of rooms, there was a room we liked for the boys that was cute and had a nice sunny window, but all the other rooms that WE would have close by looked too closed-in and cave-like for our liking. So we were able to pick a large suite and they'll be putting 2 extra beds in for us. I'm sure if you asked any of the hotels, they would recommend the rooms that wouldn't set your claustrophobia into high gear. But yes, those cave rooms are pretty cave-like in some instances. We'd stayed in a cave apartment on Santorini in the past (and loved it!) but felt like we made the right choice this time by not doing the cave room.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

Thank you so very much for your help. A great response and much appreciated. I would love to stay in a real cave room but alas...it is not to be.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

Hi Seafarer, I don't think you need to give up!! As DrDebi has said, the Kelebek website shows photos of all the rooms. When we were planning a trip to Cappadocia a few years ago, I also was anxious about finding a room where I would not feel claustophobic (I do not know how much I suffer from claustrophobia, but I cannot sleep in the total dark and have to have fresh air - so i need a window at least!)

In the end, after studying the photos in the website, we chose 2 rooms at the Kelebek - we spent the first couple of nights in Junior Suite room 9 - which was a lovely large cave room with a large window and door that opened on to a terrace area outside, and then when it became available moved into Junior Suite room 4. Again this was a lovely large room with a window - in an actual fairy chimney!

Both rooms and our stay were absolutely fabulous! So I would recommend you look at the photos and decide for yourself! (If you click on the room photo you can find further info and more photos)

http://www.kelebekhotel.com/rooms.php

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

If you look at this brand new cave hotel with spacious rooms, all of which have windows and plenty of light in the daytime, I don't think you'd feel claustrophobic there Ottoman Cave Suites http://ottomancavesuites.com/en/index.html

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
206 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

Wonderful responses and thank you so very much. The Ottoman looks lovely but I cannot find any reviews at all on it. Guess because it is new. But I do appreciate your help.

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

Many of the newer cave hotels have a choice of spacious rooms. It's not like you're spelunking to get to your room. ;-) We stayed at Aydinli Cave House last month, in room 12 (a combo of cave and stone) and you can see from the photos there's nothing dark or narrow about it.

7. Re: Cave hotel and claustrophobia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:15