We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Mid-June

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Mid-June

Please can you let me know if mid june is too late to go hiking in Cappadochia? I know its hard to predict but I would appreciate any thoughts

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

Too late, in what sense??

Do you mean will it be too hot? If so, then you need not worry, we managed during our two visits in July - and up here in the North of Scotland we are often 10' colder than you in the South, so totally unused to the sun!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

Mid-June is a great time to hike in Cappadocia! In August, it's really hot there. I've hiked in June without a problem. I don't believe I would in the August heat - unless you found a place with a lot of tree cover and you had plenty of water on hand.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

Thank you both for your help re the temperature.

Just another point, are the hiking routes very busy; we're thinking of the Red & Rose valleys; the gorge from Ihlara to Selime and the route from Kavak to Mustafapasa.

Also will there be much in the way of birdlife and flowers?

Thanks again

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

For bird watching, you'd have to be a bird watcher and I'm not. But here's a link for bird watching in Cappadocia. turizm.net/cities/cappadocia/birdparadise.htm

When I've hiked in Cappadocia, I've found more trees, shrubs and ground foliage relative to flowers blooming, but I was in valleys where flowers aren't prevalent. I hope you find a couple great discoveries!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

Excellent link, globe!

In the valleys it could be busy if you meet a tour group, or you could walk several miles seeing no one.

I can't say the prevailing sandstone geology of the area , really inspires thoughts of "flowers" as such" - look a some pictures of the amazing landscape of the area.

If you simply google "Birdwatching in Cappadocia" there seems to be plenty info in birdwatching forums and organised tours.

Edited: 02 February 2013, 14:40
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

I see Sultansazlığı "Bird Habitat" has its own website - http://www.sultansazligi.com/

Stay at the Sultan Pension? - http://www.sultanbirding.com/

Edited: 02 February 2013, 16:01
wales
Level Contributor
813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

We years were in Cappadoccia 2 years ago in June for 4 days and it rained everyday and it was a little bit on the cooler side. I would advise to to take a fleece jacket and some long trousers just incase.

8. Re: Hiking in Mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Cappadocia
Recent Conversations