We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

Hi,

Can someone offer tips on how to organize my day for Day 1 and Day 3? Still a bit confused after looking at the Cappadoccia map, and dont know how far things are from each other and what the bus schedules are like.

Day 1: Expect to reach hotel Kelebek Cave Hotel from Kayseri Airport at 3:30 pm.

So considering that I only have like 4 hours before sunset, how/what can I do? I already have a 9 pm Whirling Dervish ceremony booked on this night.

My suggested places for consideration are:

- Cavusin

- Love Valley hike

- Pasabagi/Monk Valley

- Zelve Valley Open Air Museum

- Dervent Valley

- Urgup

- Avanos (pottery, Kizilirmak River)

(Q1) Realistically speaking, am I right in saying that I will probably only have time to do Cavusin, Love Valley hike, and Avanos visit in ~4 hours?

(Q2) Will I be able to make the journey to Pasabagi/Monk Valley area in addition?

(Q3) What is in Urgup town?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2: Early rise to do hot air balloon ride. Then joining the Cappadoccia Green Tour to visit Goreme Panorama, Derinkuyu Underground City, Ihlara Valley, Selime Monastery, and Pigeon Valley

(Q1) Should I go check out the area and dinner options in Urgup town in the evening?

(Q2) What time is the latest bus returning from Urgup town to Goreme?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3: Flight to Istanbul departs at 7:50 pm. So what can I do for the whole day before leaving for airport?

My suggested places for consideration are:

- Goreme Open-Air Museum

- Rose and Red Valley hike

- Kaymakli Underground City (secondary concern since already visiting Derinkuyu the day before)

(Q1) Can someone please tell me how can I do the Rose and Red Valley hike in the most efficient manner, so that I can be back at my hotel around 5:30 pm to prepare to leave for the airport for my flight to Istanbul?

(Q2) Should I consider other items listed under Day 1 for this day?

Many thanks ahead.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

I'm sorry but your plan for day 1 on quite unrealistic. I recommend spending one whole day on Zelve, Pasabag, Cavusin, Red and Rose valleys. If you take the 10.15 bus to Zelve you can start walking back from there to Göreme, as all these places are connected.

On your first day you can go to Göreme open air museum and do the Love valley hike. You can only go to Devrent if you rent a bike, you can't do it by public transport and it's a bit too far for walking there and back.

Derinkuyu is enough, you don't need to go to Kaymakli, as they are quite similar inside. As you have little time. I'd also skip Avanos, as there is nothing really interesting there except touristic ceramic shops, but there are also a couple in Göreme.

Public transport here finishes at 6 at the latest, so if you want to go for dinner to another town, taxi is the only option.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

ok. thank you!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

Agree, there is not much you can fit in on Day 1 except a visit to Goreme Open Air Museum and dinner, before the Dervish Ceremony. Not sure I'd set off on the hike, on my own, late afternoon, when you are not at all familiar with the area.

If you are using a shuttle from the Kelebek Hotel, they may be able to drop you at the Museum while taking your luggage on to the hotel with them. Or they may be kind enough to take you back to the museum after you've checked in.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 21:33
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

<<Derinkuyu is enough, you don't need to go to Kaymakli, as they are quite similar inside. As you have little time. I'd also skip Avanos, as there is nothing really interesting there except touristic ceramic shops, but there are also a couple in Göreme.

Public transport here finishes at 6 at the latest, so if you want to go for dinner to another town, taxi is the only option.>>

Agree with mia on all this bit.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an evening in Urgup for dinner, especially when you factor in taxi costs. Centre of Urgup is very much an ordinary town with ordinary scenery.

Explore Cavusin, Uchisar, Pasabag and Red/ Rose Valleys. PS these areas together with Goreme, are, in my opinion, far more of a priority than Ilhara, whcih is much more "normal" looking!

If you fancy something a little different for the third day, we thoroughly enjoyed our day cooking and exploring with this" tour" - www.reliabletour.com/cappadocia-village.html

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

thank you heidotheroad.

how much time do you actually need at goreme open air museum?

is 3.5 hours enough to explore the goreme open air museum? (say from 3:30-7 pm) on Day 1?

i also have my suspicion abt ihlara valley. it looks to be quite a normal valley or gorge to me. with the exception that there are some church carved into the stone wall or soemthing? that's the only part that appeals to me. and i know i cant get to this area without a tour. too far and no public transportation

i know i want to do at least 1 underground tour -- either derinkuyu or kaymakli. so that's why i thought the green tour is a good combo. the red tour, i feel, generally involve places where i can get there myself.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

You need about 1 hour at Göreme open air museum if it's not crowded but definitely not more than 2. It's best to go there before 10 am, when tour groups start arriving (it opens at 8). The other option is going in the evening after 5pm, it closes at 7 but entry closes at 6.15.

You can do everything on the Red tour on your own except Devrent valley, for that you need to rent a bike.

If you want to visit an underground city on your own, I recommend Kaymakli, as it's easier to go to and it gets fewer tour groups. Both underground cities also open at 8 and close at 7 pm.

If you don't have a lot of time here, I don't recommend going to Ihlara either, I prefer Soganli. However, Selime is definitely worth visiting and the 2 options of getting there are either renting a car on taking a tour.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

Goreme Open Air Museum really doesn't take that long. As stated, 1.5-2 hours is probably it.

After we visited GOAM, we decided to skip the Ihlara Valley because the main draw of the Ihlara Valley is "more churches" and we decided we didn't really want to see "more churches". So instead we rented a car and went to Avanos (just to buy gas, agree that it is just tourist ceramic shops, skip it), then drove through Nevsehir and went to Kaymakli Underground City (simply hired a guide for our family at the entrance for 50 TL, but you don't NEED a guide). Then went to Soganli Valley (OK, "more churches" but they were fun to poke around with a flashlight and the hiking was easy and the area nicely rural and atmospheric), the drove back via Mustafapasha (there are also Roman ruins and a monastery easily accessible from this route), drove through Urgup ("just a city", not worth stopping) and Uchisar (much more cute and interesting, with interesting rock formations,worth a visit). We enjoyed the drive itself (all super easy and next to no traffic) through rural areas and seeing the very small town life and the farmers working.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

hey guys, thanks very much

question - how do you get to Uchisar Castle and climb to the top if i dont want to hike through Pigeon Valley to get there? Is there a bus that goes from Goreme to Uchisar? if yes, what time should i plan to catch it?

Considering that I will be visiting all/most valleys (Love, Red, Rose, Sword, Zemi etc, along with GOAM): the question is

If i have to choose between Pasabag/Zelve Valley versus Uchisar Castle in the end, since they are in totally different directions, which one should I go and why?

I will be doing hot air balloon tour (but no idea where does the hot air balloon tour fly up from), so does it mean that Uchisar Castle view is redundant? How much time should I estimate the journey to/from Uchisar Castle and hike up and down the castle? I heard there's a nice cafe on top?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

If I had to choose, I'd rather go to Pasabag and Zelve, especially if you are taking a balloon flight. There are local buses to Uchisar every half an hour from Göreme bus station (small white ones which go to Nevsehir). If you take a bus to Uchisar and back, you'd spend about 2 hours on that. There is nothing on top of the castle, just some old graves and great views.

If you are short of time, skip Zemi valley, it's quite similar to other ones.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help in Day 1 and Day 3 Cappadoccia plan

ok good. the busses to pasabag/zelve is the one that leaves every 2 hrs from goreme, eg 10:15 am, 12:15 pm etc, right? how much should i expect to spend at pasabag/zelve?