We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town to stay 15 Oct.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Town to stay 15 Oct.

Hi forum....have put together a prelim itinery for our 3.5 days in this region.Have not heard back re petrol availability over this national holiday period,am hoping Fuel will not be an issue..and most towns will have petrol stations where I can fill up our rental car. 16 Oct staying in Guzelyurt,hike Ihlara valley, visit Seline cathedral,and maybe if time permits Derinkuyu Underground city. nts 17+18 Oct Goreme...hike ,visit Valleys,open air Museum and Underground city if not done 16 oct. However am not sure where to stay the night of 15 oct. Arrive into Kayseri Airport and pickup car 10.30am. My thoughts are perhaps staying in say Avanos visit Zelve open air museum, Pasabagi [monks's valley] imagination[Devrent or pink valley] OR drive via Mustafapasa[spend night there ?] and on via Cemil, Keslik monastery,Sahinefendi,Guzeloz to hike in Soganli Valley...which I have been told is beautiful.A third option is use Acigol as the town to spend the night...I'm not sure what interesting places to visit from there...would appreciate info from Forum as to sights near this town...and opinions re using it as a one night base. As is evident...we are hoping to experience as much as we can in this region and having a car, travel to some of the areas and sights further from a Goreme base.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town to stay 15 Oct.

A note for travelling in the month of october..do be advised that the dates of October 14 - October 19, 2013 do fall within the turkish holidays of "KURBAN BAYRAM"

Kurban Bayramı (koor-BAHN bahy-rah-muh) is the most important Islamic religious festival of the year, and a 4 or 5-day public holiday in Turkey. It will affect your travel plans, so be prepared for it.

I would reserve your accommodations , long haul transportation ( flights, buses etc ) well in advance,

Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day or during the holiday

All banks and government offices will be closed during the holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that business before hand.

at the beginning of the holiday and end transport may be busy as travelers leaving and return home.

You should plan for the holiday. Be assured that tourism doesn't come to a halt during Kurban Bayramı,

some museums and sights (such as the bazaars) may be closed on the first day of the holiday, but most will be open for some of the other days. or open later in the day say around 12pm

yes banks and public offices will be closed

Shops and bazaars tend to be closed on the first day of the holiday, but some if not most will re-open after the first day. A few shops and businesses stay open even on the first day to provide essentials

you will have not problems in finding gas stations open during the holiday time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town to stay 15 Oct.

Thanks for your info re my Oct Cappadocia visit. All my accommodation ,other than the 15 oct is already booked..as is car hire. I am just not sure where to spend that night ? Would like to be in a different town to my other three nights.....Do you have any suggestions ? I am also interested to know whether visiting both Ihlara Valley and Soganli Valley would offer us two different valley scenery,walks? Or can you suggest another area,to explore that is perhaps off the beaten track...but well worth a visit! Thanks to the forum once again

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town to stay 15 Oct.

Make sue you fit in an underground city - so interesting.

I wouldn't recommend you to visit both Sognali and Ilhara during your short visit. Without meaning to underrate them, they are much more "normal" (green, grassy valleys with some caves and rock churches )than all the valleys and area around Goreme/ Urgup, Cavusin and Uchisar where you will be totally immersed in the unique rock formations and fairy chimneys.

How do you plan to do all your hikes with a hire car. Unless you only do half a path then double back on yourself, you will end your walk miles from where you left the car?

You're staying in a less common area, in a pretty Greek village, about an hour from the main areas to explore - those I mentioned earlier - Goreme/ Urgup, Cavusin and Uchisar - so it would be a shame to miss at least one night cin a cave hotel and completely immersed in the unique scenery. I'd suggest you spend that night in Goreme or Uchisar.

No point staying in Avanos, pretty enough town, but again its outside the area you have come to see.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 19:36
4. Re: Town to stay 15 Oct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:16