We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

Dear Friends

Really need your expertise here.

My wife and I are in the middle of planning our trip to Turkey & Italy for this month end. I will be reach Goreme/Urgup on Day 1 evening 7:00 PM. We have a baloon tour booked for Day 2 morning which is expected to get over by 7:30 AM. We have the rest of the day open to explore Cappadocia and we are trying to get a private tour organized. We depart on Day 3 at 8:30 AM back to Istanbul.

On day 2 on our private tour, we wish to cover as much as possible with the least hiking.

1) Start early and head towards Derinkuyu Underground City and Ihlara valley

2) Selime Monastery

3) Rose/Red valley - quick one hour walk to get some panaromic photos

4) Some pictures in Pigeon valley and then Göreme Open Air Museum

5) Quick stops for photos in Pashabagi, Devrent valley

6) Sunset at Uchisar Castle

We know Ihlara is far but also read that Ihlara is really beautiful and do not want to miss it. I just want to make sure that it is possible to do all of these in a day. I can imagine it will be a little bit cramped up but if it is feasible in a private tour, we want to suggest this itinerary to our tour agency. Not sure if I am missing something important but please provide your valuable comments and suggestions. Unfortunately, I only have only one full day to spend in Cappadocia.

Thanks so much for your time.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

"Unfortunately, I only have only one full day to spend in Cappadocia"

Oh dear. Yes, you can do all of that with a private tour, if that's all the time you have. Maybe just grab a taxi for the day, perhaps hire guides at Derinkuyu and Open Air Museum. It will, of course, be a bit rushed.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

You won't have enough time to do it all in one day, you have to make some choices. Ihlara valley is 100 km from Göreme. Although it is beautiful, it's not unique, there are many beautiful canyons like that in the world. I'd skip both Ihlara and Selime, simply because driving there takes too much time.

Start your day at 8 with Göreme open air museum. If you manage to visit it before 10, you save a lot of time, otherwise it takes at least 2 hours, as you have to queue up for each church.

Rose valley is a much better spot for sunset than Uchisar castle, which closes before sunset anyway. It takes at least 2 hours to walk in the Rose valley if you wish to see good views and also visit a couple of churches there. The sun sets just before 8 pm.

Derinkuyu is almost always very crowded with tour groups, going to Kaymakli is an alternative. Both are quite similar inside, although Kaymakli is not as deep as Derinkuyu. It takes at least 1 hour to visit Derinkuyu, it it's very crowded it might also take quite some time before you get in.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

I agree with Mia, you can't do all that in one day.

I also agree that Ilhara would not be my priority, the rest is much more interesting and the scenery is much more spectacular. Also rather pointless, if you don't want to hike much! Probably best to miss Selime, too.

Save all the time you can for Uchisar, Pasabag, Goreme Open Air Museum and Rose/ Red Valley.

If you have the energy, you may enjoy a Dervish ceremony for one of your evenings.

If I remember correctly, Kaymakli is not so far away, so I'd choose it to save time. What you see inside will be the same.

4. Re: One day itinerary for a couple - Need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Cappadocia