We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia

Was interested in all the must see places in Cappadocia and how long they take and what can be done in one day...

At this stage i'm planning 3 full days in Cappadocia and I'm keen on doing the following:

1) Hot air balloon ride - do you know the cost for this?

2) Derinkuyu - underground church

3) Goreme open air museum

4) Uchisar castle

Also, do i need to have tours to do these or can i do them self guided?

Thanks for the help!

Greg

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia

3 days is an ideal length of time and you can do a fair amount in that time.

Hot air balloon trips vary from c.120-150€ from company to company for a 1 hour trip.Expensive but amazing!

Göreme O.A.M you can walk to from the village and local buses will get you to places such as Urgup,Uçhisar,Zelve and Avanos etc.

Derinkuyu underground city is at the far south eastern edge of the region and needs a change of two buses to get there.

To see this it is worth it to take a day tour,this is almost always combined with Ilhara Valley a lovely and interesting spot to visit.Day tours in Cappadocia are always small group so you would be one of 12-14 not one of 45+ which is nice.

If you really don't want to join any tours then you could consider hiring a scooter for one or two days,this is cheap enough and would give you more freedom than relying on local buses.

Tomah, Wisconsin...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia

Just a warning if you are buying ceramic items in the Cappadocia/Goreme/Neveshir/Urgup/Avanos region-we visited a shop-Cappa Seramik-address: Imran Mah.Ataturk Bulvari No. 66 P.K. 78, Urgup 50400, Nevesehir Tel: 384 3418090. Had a very informative session on pottery making and viewed their shop that contained both "masterpieces" and student pieces. The masterpieces are of course more expensive, better quality and signed. We did buy items-2 from the masterpiece collection. The items were wrapped for safe travel back to the US. We took these pieces with us and did not dislodge them until returning home. Once home we discovered one of the pieces had been replaced with an unsigned student version of our item. We did notify the shop of our problem and try to have the item replaced with the correct masterpiece. But, we were not able to get any satisfaction from the Cappa Seramik shop, so please watch carefully and verify the items you purchase are the ones you think you are purchasing.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia

If you purchased with a credit card, you should have some protection against such an occurrence.

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia

Planning on going to Cappadocia next May. The tour includes hiking the Red Valley. One member of my party has a slight back problem and is somewhat fearful of heights. Do you think the hiking will be a problem?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia

Fear of heights should not be a problem, as it's a valley you are walking in!

In this area, the term "hiking" is a little misleading, I always feel. It will just be an outdoors walk, no climbing, etc.. Shoes with good tread are needed as the sandstone gravel can be slippery. The only thing I find is the guides tend to walk a little quickly to keep to schedule, so you have to concentrate a little to keep up! instead of having plenty time to look around at the fantastic scenery.

PS. It's best to start a new thread for your questions. More people will see your question, and you'll not distract people from answering the original question in this thread.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia

Greg, whether you want to join them or not, take a look at some day tour itineries. They show you what there is to see, how best to group them together and how much you can see in a day. If you don't join a tour, you will probably see less, but may have more time to linger at places you like best.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia

Hi Heidotheroad,

Can you recommend any tours that we should do? and about how much they would cost? Is this best to sort out once you get there?

Also, do you recommend staying in Goreme or somewhere else in Cappadocia?

One last qn, how easy is it to get around Cappadocia if you decide to not do a tour? (ie is all walking distance or buses etc?)

Thanks!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia

I like Goreme as a base because you are completely surrounded by the amazing fairy chimney scenery, and there's a decent choice of shops and restaurants for the evening. From Goreme, you can visit the Goreme Open Air Museum on foot, and hike in many of the valleys. Hotels are good at advising on hike routes.

I think it is best to do at least one day tour, as this gives a greater understanding of much of what you are seeing in this area. Prices vary a little, and it's worth looking for those that exclude the dreaded "demonstrations" AKA expensive shopping stops. I think it's better to choose and book the tour that appeals to you most in advance, then you are free to plan the rest of your visit as you wish. Take a look at Reliable Travel, Turkish Heritage and Rock Valley for starters. Yoo'll also see things like walking, horseriding, dervish ceremony, etc which may interest you.

The underground cities are about an hour or so away from the main Goreme area, and you do benefit from a guide, so they are a good choice to include in your day tour, though you can travel by bus and hire a guide at the gate.

There are some buses during the day, you can hire a car or scooter and walk a bit.

9. Re: Cappadocia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:19