We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

Hi all,

My fiance and I will be in Ankara in mid-December for a visit to the U.S. Consulate (and hopefully a visa for him!!). We will have about three or four days for traveling between his two required appointments there and were thinking about going to Cappadocia. We've traveled in other parts of Turkey before, but this is our first time to this area. So, I have a few questions:

1) What's the best place to go? We want a central city so we don't have to change hotels.

2) How should we get there? As we'll be coming from Ankara, should we rent a car and drive or take a bus/train? Neither one of us has experience driving in snow, but the fiance can drive a manual transmission.

3) What kind of weather can we expect in mid-December?

4) Can we feel relatively certain that during December travel functions pretty regularly? Of course we'll give ourselves a day of flexibility to get back to Ankara, but is there a risk of getting stuck in Cappadocia for more than half a day or so? We absolutely can't miss the appointment with the Consulate!

5) Any favorite hotel/restaurant/attraction recommendations? We usually travel in a budget to mid-level range (I usually aim for ~$100/night hotel accommodations) but we like to splurge for good restaurants (and wine!) and once in a lifetime attractions!

Thanks in advance for your advice. We are really excited to see this beautiful place!

Take care,

Lauren

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

1) The title suggests you've made up your mind to go to Cappadocia or have you not?

2) I'll be arriving Ankara mid December and will be renting a car and driving to Cappadocia. There shouldn't be that much snow where it effects inter city driving on the major arterial roads.

You're other options are to catch a bus or fly from Ankara to Kayseri or Nevsehir airport

3) Ranging from 10 to -10c

Check out the bottom of this page for the climate information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev%C5%9Fehir

4) Yes, everything functions as per normal.

5) Decent: Aydinli cave hotel Middle of the road: Yasin Cave Hotel

Goreme is a small village. Most eateries are good.

Toronto
Level Contributor
400 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

Göreme would be very central. Make sure you eat lunch @ Nazar Börek Café while you are there.

Ian

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

Thanks for the feedback ResmeN and imcarthur! ResmeN - yes, we're pretty much set on visiting Cappadocia, but just not sure where in the region.

It sounds like Goreme is a good place to start researching, so I'll look in to that!

Gold Canyon, Arizona
Level Contributor
189 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

If this is rather last-minute why not take the pressure off of yourself and contact a travel agency in Cappadocia to put together a package. It will ease your mind, and they will be able to answer your questions accurately. I've just returned after using Rock Valley Travel for the fifth time. Contact Omer or Vedat with your questions. They are tour guides and know the area inside-out! But don't wait!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

Thanks for the tip! I'll look them up!

6. Re: First visit to Cappadocia - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17