My fiance and I will be in Ankara in mid-December for a visit to the U.S. Consulate (and hopefully a visa for him!!). We will have about three or four days for traveling between his two required appointments there and were thinking about going to Cappadocia. We've traveled in other parts of Turkey before, but this is our first time to this area. So, I have a few questions:
1) What's the best place to go? We want a central city so we don't have to change hotels.
2) How should we get there? As we'll be coming from Ankara, should we rent a car and drive or take a bus/train? Neither one of us has experience driving in snow, but the fiance can drive a manual transmission.
3) What kind of weather can we expect in mid-December?
4) Can we feel relatively certain that during December travel functions pretty regularly? Of course we'll give ourselves a day of flexibility to get back to Ankara, but is there a risk of getting stuck in Cappadocia for more than half a day or so? We absolutely can't miss the appointment with the Consulate!
5) Any favorite hotel/restaurant/attraction recommendations? We usually travel in a budget to mid-level range (I usually aim for ~$100/night hotel accommodations) but we like to splurge for good restaurants (and wine!) and once in a lifetime attractions!
Thanks in advance for your advice. We are really excited to see this beautiful place!