We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Vadodara, India
11 posts
Save Topic
Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Hi, i am traveling to Turkey with my husband in mid Jan 2014. We will be visiting places like Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pammukkale, Izmir, Kusadasi, Ankara, Aphrodisias. I know it will be all cold & freezing that time, but we have never experienced that extreme weather in India. I hope we will be able to do the sight seeing.

I wanted to know what all things i should pack for travel, in terms of warmers particularly, and any other essentials that might be needed. Also, does it snow in these areas that i will visit?

Thanks,

Gauri

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

In Izmir,Kuşadası and Pamukkale it is highly unlikely you will see snow,possibly some rain but not too bad.Expect daytime to be c.10oC.

In Istanbul snow is a high possibility and temps maybe 7-8oC daytime,and both Ankara and Cappadocia almost certainly will have snow,temps 5-7oC daytime,especially the latter which is much higher ground.Although cold it is a crisp dry cold which is not so bad provided you are dressed correctly.

Warm thermal underwear will be good for you as you are not used to cold weather.Thick trousers,sweaters,thick woollen socks(useful for wearing in bed at night too!),most importantly warm waterproof coat and boots plus hat scarf and gloves.This may seem excessive but for most this would be suitable but for you most definately suitable so you don't feel miserable with the cold.

Nightimes will be very cold everywhere,mostly well below zero so those woolly bedsocks will be very welcome I can promise you :)

Vadodara, India
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Thank you so much. This is going to be really helpful. I have much better idea now as to what to pack. Thanks again.

Vadodara, India
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Also, are there any hot air balloon rides in Cappadocia during Jan? Coz i am really looking forward to it.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Surprisingly yes,there usually are.It depends very much on the weather,if there is heavy snowfall or adverse winds then they don't go up but other days they do.

If you intend to do this then try to book for the first morning you are there,if they don't fly then you still have chance to do it on the following morning or the day after that.

Vadodara, India
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

Ok. Thanks. That is certainly a good suggestion.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

For Cappadocia, yes there are balloon flights throughout the year. Of course it does depend on the weather - so balloons cannot fly in a snowstorm or downpour or if it is too windy or if fog affects visibility. For this reason book for the earliest date possible and then if it is cancelled because of the weather you will still have the chance to fly the next morning. Please note your feet will freeze - so plan on wearing a couple of pairs of socks if possible.

Definitely snow in January? At some point January snow is guaranteed in Cappadocia, but how long it will stay and will it snow when you are here - these are unknowns. All the museums are open all year round in Cappadocia, snow or otherwise. For your hotel you should take care to choose one with central heating (that is on 24 hours a day - not just when guests arrive) and a central location (right near shops and restaurants) is always beneficial in cold weather times.

7. Re: Travel preparation for Jan to Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18