We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Bangalore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Hi,

I am just wondering if i am paying too much for 1 hour of hot air balloon flight (150 euroes) at Cappadocia. Is it really out of the world or can I skip it? We are a couple travelling to Cappadocia in 2nd-3rd week of January.

Reviews welcome.

Boston...
Level Contributor
72 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

It is among the best 130 Euros I have ever spent to fly in a hot air balloon over Cappadocia. If it won't cause you hardship, definitely do it. I flew late last month, and it was breathtakingly beautiful. The unique terrain lends itself so well to being seen in this way.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

As the previous poster says, many people love their flight.

I flew in a balloon once ( not in Cappadocia) and was rather underwhelmed! Hot gas, or whatever they use dripped on me for the entire flight!

If you can easily afford it, then do it. If it stretches the budget a lot, then skip it and use the money for other things. 150€ can buy a heck of a lot of other holiday pleasures- accomodation, nice food, flights, tours, etc.

Do get up early and enjoy watching the balloons fly over though!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Bill,

Thanks for your time to write down what you felt. We will seriously consider it.

Regards,

Ash

Bangalore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Thanks for the review about how you felt about the Hot air Balloon. This would definitely help us to decide. We are going next wee.

Cheers

Ash

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

So far apart from the boat ride we did a few days ago at eski Halfeti seeing rumkale it has been one of the highlights of our trip & was a great experience. We wil definitely be doing the balloon flight again when we are there next year.

Try to book direct with the flight company rather then going thru an agent or your hotel as you may be able to get a better price. We flew with air kaladokya

London
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

ashmy,

I was in a same dilemma when i went to cappadocia, but my partner is very active and drags me to do these kind of stuff and i cant recommend it enough. Its worth doing it.

IMO 150Euro is too much, i went for perhaps 105Euro(through my hotel) but i also found one of the ballon rider provider giving an hour flight for 80Euro in main Goreme market (from where all the buses deaprt).

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

As Heidotheroad says - if you can afford it and not need to skimp on something else, then go for it - it is quite a unique and amazing experience! But no way would I skimp on the cost - a good, reputable, well recommended company and most of all one that is safety aware and compliant with the regulations and nature of the endeavour will cost more than a cowboy outfit and for me, safety in a thing like this is paramount. Enjoy your trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
72 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

I neglected to mention that the 130 Euro pp price that we paid was on a flight in late November with Butterfly Balloons, booked after arrival through our hotel (Kelebek). This was the price they offered right away, which is lower than the "book in advance" price on the Butterfly Balloons website -- perhaps this is because I booked through the hotel, or perhaps it was because it was not during peak tourist season? I don't know if I could have negotiated this price down further (didn't try to) or if I could have gotten a better rate with a competitor (didn't want to waste relaxation time with comparison shopping....)

An observation on the safety of one company over another: there seems to be a lack of "hard data" by which one could evaluate the relative safety merits of one company over another in advance. To me hard data would include: the years of experience of a company's pilot crew, the years of experience of the pilot of your particular balloon, the age of the balloon, the accident/incident/injury rates of each company/pilot/balloon. Maybe there are other factors too. Although such data would have been useful to me, there is no place for the casual tourist (or anybody?) to find this. Given this, I agree with Attagul that the good general reputation of the balloon company is something you should consider.

[P.S. Our balloon experience was trouble-free, our pilot was very capable and experienced, and we never once felt any hesitation or fear. Although safety should always be a concern in life, I cannot imagine not having gone on this wonderful flight in order to avoid a little risk. The experience was awesome.]

Monmouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Have been told these balloon trip companies operating in the area, are not covered by any legislation. There have been accidents reported with balloons colliding and deaths resulting.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Balloons-Are they worth the price I am paying for 1 hour fl?

Lydia who told you? What companies are you referring, too?

It has been stated many times on this forum that there have been ballooning accidents, in Turkey and elsewhere in the world. However, I disagree that their is no legislation. Companies and pilots must be licensed and insured appropriately, the only difficulty for passengers is accessing records to prove that an individual company has fulfilled all such obligations.

Get answers to your questions about Cappadocia
Recent Conversations