We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

Troy, New York...
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

Hi so my Plan is to travel to cappadocia area In mid May (17-20)

and I have been in contact with a few tour companies and I was wondering if anybody had any good experience with them and or more importantly NEGATIVE experience with them, The companies im considering are:

Tayf Tours

Rock Valley Travel

Turista Travel

and Reliable Travel

any thoughts on these tours?

Also I have read a few forum posts saying that people generally just arrive in Cappadocia and figure out their tours when the get there. How much cheaper is it do it this way? the Tour companies are quoting me between $550-$770 (the more expensive ones, includes balloon flight) especially when you include in airplane tickets/shuttle transfers between airports and hotels in cappadocia AND Istanbul. I plan to fly to Cappadocia from Istanbul and would need a shuttle from hotel in Instanbul to the airport and then a shuttle from the airport in Cappadocia (either Kayersi or Nevshir) to my hotel? so is getting a complete package less expensive then putting everything together on my own? or is it the same price?

If I wait till I get to Istanbul to book my Cappadocia trip is it cheaper? Im staying with a friend in Istanbul not a hotel, so where should I go in Istanbul to book Cappadocia trip if I were to do it this way?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

On 17th there are flights from Istanbul to Kayseri for as little as 89TL(40USD)and returns from Kayseri on 20th for as little 69TL(31USD)and all at very decent flight times.

You can book a door to door airport shuttle for 20TL(9USD) each way.

Daily tours work out mostly at 50-70USD per day fully inclusive.Bear in mind you don't need tour every day,there are many things close by Göreme that you can walk to and explore easily alone.But let's say you do 2 tours so factor in 140USD for those plus 160USD for a balloon trip.

Then you have 3 nights accomodation...hard to give you a figure here as it depends what you want but anything from 25USD upwards.

That works out around c.490USD all told.So yes,you can book all this very easily yourself and save a good deal of money.

Flights,airport shuttle,hotel can all be booked online from home.Your hotel can organise your balloon flight and whatever daily tours you choose-they can often get better prices than you could walking in off the street.

What you would save doing this would more than cover the cost of your balloon ride :)

FWIW,all of the tour companies you have listed are all well known and reputable should you decide to use one. As for me I'd just grab the plastic,get my fingers busy on the old keyboard and save some money!

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
240 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

Yes agree with the above post, that's how we organised our 4 days in Cappadocia.

Booked our cave hotel over the internet.

The hotel organised our airport transfer ( shuttle bus from and return to Kayseri ), and when we arrived provided us with a map with the sites we could walk to, and booked the couple of tours we took, so easy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
366 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

>As for me I'd just grab the plastic,get my fingers busy on the old keyboard and save some money!

Excellent advice! It is surprisingly easy to travel outside of the tour umbrella if you are prepared to do some research. You have found the TA forum - which is an excellent resource - just use the search button above.

Ian

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

Book it all before you travel,very easy and you have complete control of all aspects, including when you travel, hotel and your own personal choice of tours/ itinerary.

One or two people have recently mentioned just letting your hotel book tours, etc once you arrive. I far prefer to plan these in advance, so I can be sure I have the best itinerary for my own personal interests and that any tours I take don't waste my precious time on unwanted long, expensive shopping stops, often disguised as "demonstrations. "

5. Re: Many questions on Traveling to Cappadocia -Opinions needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:16