We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trekking cappadocia

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
trekking cappadocia

hello,

we will be 2 days (one night) in cappadocia, coming from Istanbul.

what is the best city in cappadocia to set a base for exploring the country and to see much as possible? probably Goreme...

Is it possible to explore alone, without agencies and see a lot of things? maybe rent a motorbike to explore, or with public buses between cities... how is with accessibility?

thank you

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trekking cappadocia

Same answer as this thread, have a read- tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k7…

There are many ways to see the area- day tours, hiking, hire a car, hire a car with driver, some walking, public transport, etc.

What are your preferences?

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trekking cappadocia

There are a few bus options ,but not too many, still enough to go to Zelve, Derinkuyu, Avanos, Nevsehir.

Goreme is the best if you are traveling alone, and need public transportation.

I did a couple of small hikes, 1 on on my oww, 1 with a tour , both were great.

Ihlara valley is something you should explore, try to stay there for a couple of days.

You can see my blog page on Cappadocia : …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trekking cappadocia

This website talks about public transportation in Cappadocia : captivatingcappadocia.com/cappadocia-public-…

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trekking cappadocia

thank you very much for info :) and links

we decided to stay in Goreme and for first day just exploring Goreme valley. if I understood, there are near Gorem open air museum, love, rose, pigeon valley, which could be explored by your self. am I right? Is it hard to find this things? is this possible in one day without travel agencies?

for second day explore one underground city: kaymakli, ihlara

we have low budget, therefore avoiding organised tours

do you suggest somethings else?

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trekking cappadocia

The first day seems good, you can do it without a tour.

But I'm not sure if you can do Ihlara without a tour, you'll have to ask someone, but most likely it's not easy at all.

I think the tours are good value, 120 TL or so which includes food, transport, admission fee etc.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trekking cappadocia

If you have only two days, I would miss Ilhara. there are "better " places to see nearer Goreme, and Ilhara transportation will be difficult.

i'd your days around and do the underground city first, just because it is further away than any of the other sites, so suss out the public transport and get it done firstly and as early as possible in the day. On your return bus journey, you vocal hop of the bus if you see anywhere you'd like to explore, or head back to the Goremem Open Air Museum.

Next day, you should get up early to watch the balloons flying over and head off on a half or full day hike. You should be able to cover a bit more on this day, whether by a long walk, or half fay hike plus bus/ scooter/ bicycle. As well as some of the valleys think about Zelve, Uchisar, Cavusin and Pasabag.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trekking cappadocia

reading your answers we decided to change our plans...

day one: underground city with bus: which is in your opinion the best? is then possible to reach the underground city bay foot?

then gorem museum, and valleys nearby:rose, love

day two: watching balloons: and taking a scooter to go around. there will not be a problem to go with scooter, because of hills, traffic, stealing scooter? or is better to go with bus?

i

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trekking cappadocia

You won't have time to do all that in your first day. Underground cup it's trip will take half day. Open Air Museum, 2 - 3 hrs and a short hike in one valley would also take 2-3 hrs

Ashwin gave you a link about buses. It's just a local bus so there probably isn't a choice.

Obviously you won't be able to take the scooter into valleys, and I don't see why you'd have a problem on standard roads. Traffic is pretty light and I'm sure crime is low, though you'd have to take normal precautions if you park.

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trekking cappadocia

Thank you so much for posting this! We arrive Goreme in June and want to explore on our own without a paid tour guide but did not know if a bus was available. Wonderful to know

Sandy

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trekking cappadocia

Samdy, I'm sure you'll enjoy Cappadocia and well done you, on your first post for taking the time to read a little and find the info you wanted! Feel free to ask if you need any help.