We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

My husband and I are travelling to Cappadocia in August. Given we are pressed on leave from work we could manage only one day in Cappadocia and two days in Istanbul. I need some help from fellow travellers to help with my itinerary and questions

Itinerary:

Monday, 18 August

- Arrive Istanbul Ataturk airport at 1310hrs from Abu Dhabi

- Flight to Kayseri from Istanbul Ataturk airport at 1600hrs (if possible)

- Spend the night at Cave hotel in Groeme

2. Tuesday, 19 August

- Hot air balloon ride in the morning

- Take one of the tours

- Flight from Kayseri at 1900hrs to Istanbul

Questions:

1. How does the above itinerary look?

2. Can anyone recommend websites for cheap flights. I had a look at http://www.bulucak.com/ as recommended on the forum but can't change the language to English. I need to take flights from Ataturk airport.

3. What are the 'must-see' places in Cappadocia? I am torn between the following three tours:

Option 1: Green tour (Derinkuyu Underground City, Ihlara Valley hike, Selime Monastery and shopping visit)

Option 2: Red tour (Devrent valley, Zelve Open Air Museum, Avanos , Groeme open air musesum)

Option 3: Group tour (offered by a private tour operator) includes Mustafapasa (Sinassos) Village, Sobessos Excavation, Kirksehitler Church, Hike & lunch in Soganli Valley, Derinkuyu Underground City and no shopping visit

4. Should I book Cappadocia trip (flights+ hotel+ tour) though a Turkish travel agent or on my own?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

Hi I will do my best to answer clearly

- Itinerary looks good because you need to do things you like. Cave hotel will be good for you and husband.

- Option 3 looks the best. if you are okay with doing many things at once. people love the Derinkuyu, Kaymakli underground city. Hot air balloon is a must. many of my tourist group love these two.

- if you are unsure go with a agent but if you want to look around and find something you like, if you have time to, then that's okay

Maybe you want to check this out..its australian website

skyscanner.com.au/flights-to/tr/airlines-tha…

let me know if this works

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

found a turkish airlines flight on august 18th

Turkish Airlines TK2008 17:45 Istanbul, (IST)Nevsehir, 19:05 (NAV) 175 liras

ora Turkish Airlines TK2014 15:50 Istanbul, (IST) 17:15 Kayseri, (ASR) 145 liras

pegasus airlines has much cheaper flights however they are flying out of Sabiha Gökçen airport in Istanbul and it would be a longer transfer and more costly to get there

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

Flight from Kayseri at 7 PM doesn't sound great, can you go back to Istanbul the next day morning? You get the whole day in Cappadocia this way, because tours normally get over at 5-6 PM.

It would be good if you can get a customized trip, which will suit your interests, although I like option 2 a lot, option 1 won;t be bad at all, I haven't been to option 3, so can;t say anything about that.

You can see my blog page …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/… , see which places you like, and go for them.

And go for Nevsehir rather than Kayseri.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

BTW..I think you need more time in Cappadocia..a minimum or 2 or 3 nights is better . also Turkish Heritage Travel in Goreme is highly recommended on the forums and you can inquire to your special needs there.

www.goreme.com/turkish-heritage-travel.php‎

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

If you are arriving at Ataturk , you only onward flight option, I believe, is with THY otherwise you'd have to go to SG airport which takes a while.

Leaving Cappadocia at 7pm is no good. Tours end between 5 and 6pm, then you have to meet your shuttle, about an hours drive to the airport ( a little more to Kayseri), then check in time....Take the latest flight you co an find, and you might be able to fit in dinner before you leave!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

No reason why you shouldn't book everything on your own.

Turkish Heritage have group tours with no shopping stops- turkishheritagetravel.com/cappadocia/…

7. Re: Itinerary help for August plus help on Cappadocia tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:15