We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia itinerary confusion

Pune, India
4 posts
Save Topic
Cappadocia itinerary confusion

I am budget traveler taking a 5 day tour of Turkey. I had visited Istanbul before so I wont spend much time there. I had kept 2 days for Capadocia but now I am struggling to choose what to see (and also how to see). I can also extend it to 3 days. As I am on a tight budget, I won't go for got air ballooning ( will just watch it from ground). I am interested in typical landscape of this region;but I can confused about which valleys to chose. I see that among the tours, Green is highly recommended; but I am not very keen on Ihlara valley ( not unique to this region, I guess). However I am interested in Selime Monastery and Derinkuyu Underground City . Which valleys to visit? Should I take tour or not ( I am solo). Is it possible to hire bicycle / motorcycle? Any suggestions?

I will then go to Pamukkale. Which company to choose for the overnight bus journey?

Thanks,

Alexandria, Romania
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

If you want to see Derinkuyu and Selime Monastery you must take Green Tour (one day). You can easily see the baloons in the early morning, from sunset point not far from Goreme city center, a little uphill.

Day 2 = hiking around Goreme . I recomand Pigeon Valley and Gorkundere valley.

For a budget cave hotel I recommand Elif Star Caves. Email Kadir Teke, the owner and him can arrange all your trip, he is very helfull,

See my blog:

http://nickroro.blogspot.ro/

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

You absolutely DO NOT have to take a tour to see an underground city, and you especially don't have to take a Green Tour- or any other colour for that matter.

A tour is good in helping you fully appreciate how the underground cities functioned but it isn't essential if you do a bit of reading in advance. The day tours are in general very good value for money as they include travel, over an hour to the underground city area from the main Goreme/ Urgup area, a good lunch and entrance fees and are usually only about a dozen people.

There are many good companies who do not name their tours after colours. This is simply the system adopted by one or two companies. When time is short you may want to choose a company who diodes not waste your precious time with shopping stops- often disguised as demonstrations.

You could also visit the underground city by public bus or, if you are confident, hiring a motor bike would be a great idea. A scooter might be a bit if a struggle for that length of journey!

Skip Ilhara for such a short visit and concentrate rather on the valleys close to Goreme area- Red/ Rose, etc.where you enjoy the greatest concentration of the " fairy chimney" scenery.

You don't need to go anywhere to enjoy the sight of the balloons. Just get up early, say 6am, and enjoy the display from the comfort of your hotel terrace with a coffee.

Three days is ideal for Cappadocia.

As far as I can tell, there isn't much difference between the bus companies and you can just book what ever is most convenient by buying tickets in town a couple of days before your departure.

3. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 07:36
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

Littlemiss, yesterday you told us you were the owner of Bridge of the World. You are not allowed to advertise on these forums. please refrain and read TA guidelines. TA will be along to remove your posts again.

By indulging in self promotion here, you will only earn yourself a bad reputation.

5. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 20:05
6. Re: Cappadocia itinerary confusion

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16