We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

Hi, I am traveling to Turkey in August and plan to visit Cappadocia. I will fly out of Izmir to Kayseri either on 8/17 evening(Sunday) or 8/18 early morning (Monday) and leave for istanbul on 8/19 (Tuesday) at night. This leaves me with either 2 days or 1.5 days in cappadocia. Is this enough? I wish to do the hot air balloon ride and see the underground cities. I am not familiar with what else the region has to offer. I came across tour companies that do a 1 day tour of the valley but I'm skeptical about them with regards to time available enjoying the place. Any suggestions are welcome. We are two travelers in their 20's.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

It will be enough to do the hot air balloon & visit the underground cities but not much more.

Due to the short time I would recommend you utilise the green tour which visits the southern region which includes the main underground cities as well as Ihlara valley.

honeycombtours.com/CappadociaRedBlueGreenTou…

We used this balloon company earlier this year and would not hesitate to fly with them again

http://www.airkapadokya.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297983-d4…

Have stayed here on multiple occasions in the past which is a nice budget place

www.backpackerscavehotel.com/en/index.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297983-d120387…

Would recommend getting some tasty börek from Nazar Börek in Göreme

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297983-d1…

Would recommend eating some tasty 1 metre kebabs/Turkish dishes from Kolcuoğlu restaurant in Ürgüp which is housed in an old authentic han

https:/…526bbb3311d267e76cddfcb9

http://www.kolcuogluurgup.com/iletisim

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

If you do a little research, you will find that there is a lot to see and do in this area, so try to give yourself at least two full days- three or four would be better.

Highlights include Goreme Open Air Museum, Zelve, Uchisar, Cavusin, Rose/ Red/ Pigeon valleys.

You can arrange your own flights and hotel, but as Resme says, joining small group day tours will allow you to cover a lot of ground with such a limited time available. I like Turkish Heritage Travel, Reliable Tour and Rock Valley.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

A good option would be to rent a car, get a map and travel on your own.2 days is def. better than 1.5 day. I dont like tours(and many people dont, especially if you are concerned about how much time you would get at each site, but the green tour is generally worth it. You could start with places around Goreme, move towards the underground cities, Zelve, PAsabagi and so and come back to Goreme in the evening, find a nice sunset spot., go to the Sarihan caravanserai for the whirling dervishes...better than taking a tour.

You can have a look at my cappadocia page: …wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

I also don't like tours and prefer not to do them but when in Cappadocia especially if you have very limited time tours such as the Green one covering areas well south of Goreme which are hard to reach using public transport are worth it. Otherwise I almost always will advocate DIY tours on your own especially if you have the time.

My trip earlier this year was for 3 days however I knew exactly what I wanted to do and had a hire car which enabled us to see those on the list and then some. If we didn't have the car we would have still had a good time but would have been able to cover less ground.

The red tour can easily be done on your own as it covers the sights nearest to Goreme of which most are within walking distance or easily accessible using public transport.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

I agree with ResmeN.

We arrived mid afternoon from our flight from Istanbul to Goreme. That afternoon we mamaged the out door museum, easy walk. Then an early dinner and bed.

The following day we did the Balloon ride, had plenty of time for a freshen up and brunch. ( breakfast was included with the flight. But it was limited and early)

Also not liking tours, the only one we did, but considering our limited time we did the green tour as ResmeN suggested. It was easy, informative and covered a lot of what we wanted to see in a good

amount of time.

It was a tiring day but easily doable. We stayed that night in Goreme with an early flight.

Well worth the effort and a must see area of Turkey in my opinion. :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

Thank you very much guys! In that case, is Ephesus doable in one day? I have only 9 days and want to see Ephesus, cappadocia and Istanbul.. I'm landing in Istanbul in the evening and going straight to izmir from there, next evening I fly to kayseri, spend two days there and fly to Istanbul and stay there for 5 days before flying to NYC.. sounds okay?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,739 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

You can see Ephesus in one day, but of course you won't have time to see other things in that area.

The three locations are doable but a lot for only nine days, and you're not making any allowance for jet lag.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

kaushalpar, sounds okay.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

Completely doable. Personally though, I would drop one of the nights in Istanbul and stay overnight in Selcuk which is a stones throw from Ephesus. It's a cute little tourist town and worth seeing the fort and St Jeans/Johns church.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cappadocia in 1.5 to 2 days

Thanks a lot guys! Just few more questions. I reach izmir on Saturday evening at about 8.30 pm. Plan to see Ephesus on Sunday. Any recommendations for Saturday? Should I leave for selcuk or spend the night in izmir?

Recommendations to stay at izmir, selcuk, goreme and Istanbul?