We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hello!

I'm thinking about going to Turkey this coming April and am just trying to sort things out. For background: I'll likely be travelling solo, female in mid-20s. I don't have any interest in doing a tour. I also do not drive so could not rent a car.

I know I want to visit Istanbul, but the Cappadocia area has entrhalled me and I must see it. I'm not fully sure what would be the best way for me to get there, or really where in the area I should aim to go (am thinking Goreme obviously). I'm mostly interested in hiking around and taking in scenery at my own pace, as I'm not really keen on doing an organized tour as I hate being rushed.

How good is local transport in the area?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hey there! Goreme is a great choice - fantastic scenery and the people are amazing. Getting around by yourself without one of the organised tours may be quite difficult - there isnt any form of reliable local transport - ie buses etc around.

There are two tours that operate - the Red and the Green tour - one takes you into the underground cities, Pigeon valley, a lovely little valley for lunch and the other is more arid and hiking and walking around.

Depending on your interest, I recommed you look into one of these or both the tours - you can shop around online for best rates, but you can also get these booked through your hotel owner in Goreme.

There is a slight markup when you go through the hotel owner (like pbly 5-10 TL) - but this is much better as you know you have someone's throat to throttle )so to speak ::) if things go wrong!

We booked through Farouk at the Kismet Cave House where we stayed (which is absolutely amazing btw!) and we were extremely happy with it!

Enjoy yourself there - its a different land altogether

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

lingrem

you know how the converts to anything are always the worst? Now onto Cappadocia!!!

As deepika suggested, getting around by public transport can be rather problematic. Yes you can get buses between the main towns and villages but I strongly suspect they are not so easy in terrms of doing regular stops along the way. I would not, however, be too worried about doing organised tours. I did witness the horrors of full-sized tour buses disgorging hordes of package tourists but in somewhere like Goreme it is easy to pick up minibus tours at reasonable prices and I never felt at all rushed doing the 2 mentioned already. There are also others which cover different areas. I really liked Goreme as a base but everwhere else has its champions.

As to getting there, there are plenty of cheap buses but I flew to and from Kayseri. For flights look at

bulucak.com

This seems to cover all domestic flights but my booking experience was that Pegasus were mostly cheaper unless you desparately wanted to fly to Nevsehir so I will add

flypgs.com

In Goreme pretty much all the logistical stuff you could want is in the Otogar or just by it.

John

Farwania, kuwait
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hi lingrem,

From your background I can understand that you are fascinated to visit Cappadocia - Goreme, but not interested in any tour. That was exactly what we did in Dec 2010. Of course we were with our small daughter. You are solo and have more freedom. You can fly from Istanbul to Nevsheir or Keisari. Lot of cheap flights are there. From the airport there are shuttle services to what ever hotel / cave house you book. Even the Cave houses can arrange your shuttle service. As for as local transportation, most of the places are nearby and transports are available. You can walk or trek around. Most of the hotels can arrange taxis and other facilities. People around in Cappadocia are friendly and helpful. We stayed in Aydinli Cave house. The owners are friendly and honest. They organized our private tour. We went in December. You are planning your tour in April. No hassle. You proceed without any problem and enjoy the scenic beauty of Cappadocia on your own.

Good luck.

ravi

Urgup, Turkey
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hello

Local transport here in Cappadocia is generally good, regular, cheap, clean and punctual and you can get on and off where you want. The only exception is the Goreme-Urgup bus line which runs every 2 hours and last bus is 7 pm. We live here all year round and have no car and it has never been a real problem.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hi

Sorry to hijack the thread.

We are travelling in September, how soon before do I need to book a flight.

Pegagus are offering seats at 50TL at the moment, but I am a bit worried about booking so far in advance as we may need to change our dates.

We are hoping to continue on from Turkey to Egypt, but with all that is happening I am not sure that this will be possible.

If we dont go to Egypt we will possibly stay in the Greek Islands longer and arrive in Turkey later and stay longer and perhaps visit more areas instead of visiting Egypt.

I dont want to miss the cheap flights but I am torn with what to do, so I would love some advice from locals perhaps.

Also which airport do Pegagus fly from in Instanbul and how long does it take to get to this airport. The flights are at 8.40am so I am wondering how early I would need to leave the hotel please.

Thanks

Janderra

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hi

I have also been looking at flights from Izmir to Instanbul and they were available for 50Tl now the same flights are 61.99TL so it seems that the cheap seats sell out early. Any further advice on this please. I think that there are no cancellation or changes on these cheap flights is that right.

Thanks again

Janderra

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hi Janderra,

I have a few suggestions.

1. Forget about Egypt, this time around.

2. Replan your Turkey and Greece trip equally distributing the extra days to each destination.

3. Select some additional destinations in Turkey or extend your stay at the original destinations.

4. Immediately buy your cheap travel tickets after a final replan. There are no refunds or changes on those tickets. You simply forfeit the ticket if you want a new one. So it is better to finalize your trip first.

good luck,

enigma...

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Visiting Egypt is a hard one to call given the +/-'s. What's your risk-aversion? For some people it's high, for others low. Personally, I would go to Egypt, but you have to make the decision that's right for you.

Many of us have done trips to Greece & Turkey traveling between each country via ferry and plane. It's a great experience b/c the contrast btwn the two countries and people is considerable. What has helped me in the past is putting together a couple of itineraries including destinations, travel time from points A to B to C, the costs, sights/activities, etc. I also do a lot of reading in advance and talk to people who've actually traveled to these areas, stayed in the hotels, etc. The quality of the information and small details shared by people who've actually been ... makes a ten-fold difference.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Think you pretty much know all the answers already!

Cheapest flights sell out pretty quickly and are non transferable/ returnable. You might be able to pay more and get a ticket you can change but that defeats the purpose!

Only you can decide whether to include Egypt, or skip it and replan your schedule. Hard choice.

Pegasus fly from SG airport which is quite a distance from Sultanahmet. There are some reasonably cheap shuttles - you can get info from the Frequent Questions section on the Istanbul Forum. Public transport would be a bit difficult for your husband and a private transfer is relatively expensive.

Remember Hotel Nena will give you a free transfer back to Ataturk airport where you can get a THY flight. Sometimes a little more expensive than Pegasus but you'll save time and money on the transfer. Check THY website, I suspect you will qualify for a discount due to your age, too! Hope that doesn't sound rude, certainly not my intention!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Istanbul to Goreme

Hi

Thanks for all the advice.

Our whole trip was planned around Egypt and sailing down the Nile for my birthday in October. Part of me says cancel Egypt, but then I dont really have a plan B in mind and no where that I really want to spend my birthday.

It is still a while away and I thought that we could wait to sort out that part of the trip but all the flights are booking up fast.

With my husbands age we may not be able to do a large trip like this again.

I just dont know which way to turn, and dont really have a lot of other places in Turkey that I want to include in the intinery. Unless we did a cruise from Turkey, but then they mainly go to the greek islands which we will visit prior to Turkey.

What will the weather be like in Turkey be like in mid October for my birthday, would most the tourist areas start to close down.

That is part of the problem even with the greek islands they start to close down in September and the flights and ferries stop running regularly.

Any other advise re a revised itinery in Turkey would be appreciated.

Janderra