We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

Hi there,

I have a specific hot air balloon company in mind.

After reading through the forums, it seems that it costs more to book via internet from the hot air balloon company (pls correct me if I am wrong)

Many suggested to book upon arriving in Goreme, via hotels or travel agency.

I will be staying in a hostel instead of a hotel.

My concern is the hotels or travel agencies may have connections with other hot air balloons (instead the one which I have in mind and some have bad reputation which is best avoided upon my research)

How do I go about booking the specific hot air company I have in mind and get a good deal (some discounts will be great for a budget traveller)

BTW, the hot air company I have in mind is Butterfly Balloons

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

you could email them or contact them via the contact details on their website:

We used them about 18 months ago and can thoroughly recommend them

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

Don't book the balloon flight in advance and pay for it.

Do it after you have arrived as it all depends on the weather..

During summer each morning literally 100s of balloons take flight

After you have arrived and settled in Goreme tell your hotel to book it for you.

As Goreme is a small village all accommodation operators and service operators know each other. Tell your hotel staff to book your flight after you have arrived.

If you pay before you arrive and due to bad weather you don't get to fly then you will have to chase the company for a refund. As you're only there briefly you don't want to be stressing over that.

Tell your hotel manager specifically you want butterfly balloons or tell a local service operator in Goreme that you want them. It's quiet simple.

I was just in the area for 4 days and it was lovely.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

Butterfly Balloons doesn't generally give better rates to hotels or travel agencies, their rates are pretty fixed and you pay what they ask for unless it's really low season (November, February). They have spent a fortune on promotion, and keeping the prices high is part of it, but apart from that there are several other companies which are equally good but with which it is possible to get better rates through either hotels or travel agencies - Atmosfer and Voyager are both excellent. However, if you are looking for the best, then it's Kapadokya Balloons, but they are also the most expensive. Butterfly has 2 excellent pilots, the rest are average at best. Who you get to fly with is a matter of luck.

Why don't you ask your hostel which balloon company they work with and if they can book you with Butterfly (if that''s what you want to do) and for what price. If you book directly, you're usually supposed to pay in advance, but most hotels and travel agencies only take payment (also for balloon flights) when you get there.

However, if it's high season (July to September), you should definitely book in advance. Yes, there are about 100 balloons flying every morning, yet there were many times last year when it was impossible to get a flight for 3 or 4 days, as all the better companies were simply sold out although they had 2 flights a day. It's especially so with Butterfly.

Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

voxz, book with the Butterfly Balloons once you arrive at Goreme. You can book at Kelebek Hotel or at Heritage Travel, at the entrance to the Kelebek Hotel. In fact Butterfly Balloons have the same ownership as Kelebek Hotel and Heritage Travel.

I very much enjoyed my balloon trip with Butterfly Balloons and my stay at Kelebek Hotel this past November. Our pilot was Mike Green, a true professional. Have a look at my review and pictures: "tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297983-d1…".

good luck,

5. Re: How to book a specific hot air balloon company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor