We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
285 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Hi all,

We will have 2 days/nights in Goreme (our flight arrives into Kayseri at 8:15am, so we will essentially have all of this day, plus the next day). I want to make sure that we see all of the main sights of Cappadocia, but we will not have a car. We will likely stay right in Goreme. I was thinking of breaking it down like this:

Day 1 - Goreme Open Air Museum (since I understand it is a close walk from the town proper), hike to Uchisar Castle

Day 2 - Take this tour: goreme.com/history-and-adventure-tour-2013.p… I was looking for a tour that would hit the majority of the main sites. This one seems to do that, as it goes to one of the underground cities, Pasabag, Cavusin, and Rose Valley.

The other site I would like to see (based on what I've read) is Devrent Valley. Could we fit this in on day 1? And if so, how easy is it get to from where we will be? Will we need to take a cab? Or is there another tour that would hit everything on my "must see" list? I definitely want to have some time to explore so I'm not sure that I want to do full-day tours on both days.

Last question: the hot air balloon rides look fantastic, but they are so expensive! Are they really worth it? I also admit I'm a little nervous, after that accident in Luxor earlier this year... but from seeing the pictures, I think I could get over it! I also worry that might be too much in one day, as we would have to put it on the same day as the tour (day 2).

Thanks for the input! :)

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Uchisar Castle
Uchisar Castle
1,196 Reviews
Uchisar, Turkey
Pasabag
Pasabag
777 Reviews
Urgup, Turkey
Devrent Valley
Devrent Valley
120 Reviews
Cappadocia, Turkey
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
285 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Okay, so I have done some more research and I think my itinerary will now look like this:

Day 1 - Arrive into Kayseri at 8:15am. New Goreme Tours will pick us up at the airport and take us directly on the Red Tour

Day 2 - Balloon ride in the early morning - back to hotel for breakfast. Hike from Goreme to Uchisar via Pigeon Valley. Explore Uchisar. From Uchisar, catch bus to Nevsehir, transfer to Kayseri. Explore on our own and then catch bus back to Goreme. If we have time, climb Sunset Hill in town to catch sunrise

Day 3 - Fly to Izmir at 8:55am

Is this doable? I definitely agree now that the Red Tour is a better way of seeing all the main sights than the tour I initially considered. It looks like we will miss the Rose Valley, but maybe we'll see it from the balloon? The only issue is whether the busses regularly stop at Uchisar so that we can get transported to Nevsehir. Anyone?

Thanks again everyone!!

Mentioned in this post
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Uchisar
Uchisar
Cappadocia, Turkey
Pigeon Valley
Pigeon Valley
1,763 Reviews
Goreme, Turkey
Nevsehir
Nevsehir
Nevsehir Province, Turkey
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Biarritz, France
Level Contributor
44 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Erin, I am going to jump onto this thread because I had the same question regarding the hot air balloon rides. Yes, I get that the balloon rides are beautiful with great scenery. But, how safe are the balloons and the companies that operate them?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

check out these links about ballooning in Cappadocia

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/special/balloon/

turkeytravelplanner.com/special/balloon/best…

turkeytravelplanner.com/special/…safety.html

turkishtravelblog.com/hot-air-balloons-cappa…

captivatingcappadocia.com/cappadocia-hot-air…

alos here on this post as it was discussed earlier this year

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297980-i4564-k622…

Your hotel can book your flight for you while there or you can do it yourself upon arrival.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297983-i5867-k527…

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=4564&geo=297980&scope=2&q=Hot+air+ballooning+safety&x=22&y=7&pid=34633&s=+

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

There arelocal buses from Uchisar to Nevsehir every half an hour and then from there to Kaymakli (i guess you mean Kaymakli, not Kayseri). You will still have time to go to Rose valley after you come back from Kaymakli. It taxes about 1 hour to hike to Uchisar, you won't spend more than an hour there, or max 2 if you have lunch there (I recommend Centre Cafe) and the whole trip to Kaymakli and back to Göreme won't take more than 3 hours. So you should get back to Göreme at about 4 pm, which is an excellent time to set out for Rose valley.

Balloon flights in Cappadocia are very safe, Turkish authorities have imposed the strictest regulations and all companies have to follow them.

Mentioned in this post
Uchisar
Uchisar
Cappadocia, Turkey
Nevsehir
Nevsehir
Nevsehir Province, Turkey
Kaymakli
Kaymakli
493 Reviews
Nevsehir, Turkey
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
285 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Wonderful - thanks Miasmith! That is exactly what I was looking for [and you're right - I did mean Kaymakli, guess I've been typing Kaymakli and Kayseri too much haha] :)

Not sure if I mentioned, but I will be there in late October. From what I understand, the sun sets around 6 pm at that time of the year. Therefore, would it be safe to set out for Rose Valley around 4pm by ourselves? Or woudl we have to go with a tour? Not sure how long it takes to hike, but I wouldn't want to get stuck out there by ourselves after dark... (though I do hear it is a wonderful place to watch the sun set).

Thanks all!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Kaymakli
Kaymakli
493 Reviews
Nevsehir, Turkey
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Depending on where you start the hike in Rose valley and how much you walk around (there are several different tracks you can follow), it takes 2-3 hours. You can also go there after the Red tour, which finishes between 3 and 4. There are also sunset tours to Rose valley for 25TL per person. Rose valley is actually quite close to Göreme, and the sunset lasts quite long, it doesn't get dark immediately.

S M
USA
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Which Tour Company offers the RED/BLUE tour? I was also planning on doing the History Tour you initially mentioned, but am now intrigued by this new Tour as maybe it better encompasses the sights.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
285 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

Wonderful, miasmith - sounds like we will have time to wander out into Rose Valley at least for a bit. I can't wait to see it! Thanks so much for all of your help!!

S M - this is the tour company I found offering the Red Tour. I contacted them and so far, they seem really easy to work with: newgoreme.com/cappadocia-tours/30/Cappadocia…

Oak Hill, Virginia...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

My family is traveling to Goreme in July. I was very interested in the hot air balloon rides but now I am having trepidation bc of the recent crash and deaths of 20 tourists in Egypt (in a hot air balloon). Since my kids are 5,8,11 I want to make sure I make an informed decision.

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
20. Re: 2 Days in Goreme - Itinerary for must-see sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 07:19