We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia Underground cities

Which Goreme hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
147 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia Underground cities

Hello,

Going to Capadocia for couple of days and finalizing my itnerary. I was looking about underground cities and found there are 3 in cappadocia.

Can anyone, who has been to these underground cities recommend which is better

1) Derinkuyu Underground City

2) Kaymakli Underground City

and 3) Özkonak Underground City

I think first 2 are more popular than the 3 one but again all suggestion welcome.

Thanks

Jay

Edited: 19 August 2013, 16:28
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia Underground cities

Underground cities can be a mixed bag. Lots of people want to see them, but once inside some people don't do well in dark, confined spaces. I've seen people tear up the stairs fast to get out. And some people are just plain claustrophobic and they're not quiet. Thus some people don't do well in underground cities.

Personally speaking, I liked Derinkuyu best because there were many levels to explore and the guide we had did a great job explaining everything. Underground cities have low ceilings and narrow tunnels to walk through. Some areas are dimly lit, while other areas have no light at all, just so you know.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia Underground cities

İ was in Kaymaklı, and İ thought it was extremely interesting. We went in with a guide and İ think that makes it all going right or wrong. You do not need to feel claustrophobic that much, being with somebody who knows the city as his coat's pockets. Also the whole city comes much more to live, you can easier imagine how it worked in the days the cities were used. We just went in a bit and you did have the feeling you went down a bit but when he told us on which level we went down we were just so surprised.

You should not miss to visit at least one!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia Underground cities

Hi, I've just returned from Turkey and visited Kaymakli. I can't comment on the others, as I haven't visited them, however Kaymakli was very interesting and worth a trip. We hired a guide at the entrance of the Underground City paying about 80L for a 50-60 min guided tour (for 2 of us). I don't usually get a guide for this sort of thing but it was definitely worth it on this occasion. 1) he took you on a specific route, otherwise you would wonder randomly around 2) he pointed out lots of interesting things that we would have walked straight pass or not known what they were, for example, traps, stone doors, food storage etc. There's also a small market (full of the normal Turkish/Tourist stuff) on route to the entrance which you can spend 15 mins or so browsing.

Martinez,CA
Level Contributor
355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia Underground cities

We visited Derinkuyu which we found very interesting and well worth it. We did not hire a guide but there was a guide gathering a small group and after a few steps we realized we'd do better with a guide. I believe it was 5TL per person. He explained many of the rooms and took us to the lowest level. From there we were on our own and could take our time as we liked.

5. Re: Cappadocia Underground cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21