We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

Husband and I have decided on Goreme as home base for 4 days in late July after 4 days in Istanbul. We're looking for an attractive room or suite, a good view, and given the mid-summer heat, a pool. We're prepared to pay 200-225 euros a day and want to stay walking distance to services, restaurants, post office, bike and moped rental, etc. We won't have a car.

We have narrowed hotels to:

1. 8 room Miras Hotel http://www.mirashotel.com/index.php

2. 18 room Doors of Cappadocia www.doorsofcappadocia.com/index.php?e=&lang=7

3. 33 room Anatolian Houses www.anatolianhouses.com.tr/m/index_en.html

Question: which location is better, Miras and Anatolian on the one side of town, or Doors on the other side? Where would you put your best friend or favourite relative, and why?

We considered the Kelebek based on TA reviews but wanted to avoid what looked like the longest uphill walk in Goreme.

All advice appreciated, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

Blimey - I wouldn't go on an ATV with a back problem!! Terrain is very rough in these valleys and I would have thought there was a danger of over turning.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

Too much time with a guide can be a bit overbearing, can't it! You can't drive in the valleys, so I guess he was only planning driving to one, then walking with you, and the driver would pick you all up at the other end.

You can easily do it on you own, your hotel will direct you to a route suitable for you abilities. You could probably even arrange for someone from the hotel to drive you to a start point, then point you in the right direction for a one way route, to cut the walking.

Bicycles can be limiting as you might have to carry them up/ over some bits.

It was reported a while back that ATV's were being banned in the valleys. I don't know if that has happened but I certainly find them very offensive in the valleys - disturbing the peace and tearing up the paths.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

I hear you Attagul and Heidotheroad, and understand why ATVs would be a nuisance and banned. I'll scope out biking in another post; haven't entirely given up yet, even with carrying the bike up hilly, rough bits.

Thanks all, again.

14. Re: Miras, Doors, or Anatolian Houses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15