We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravanserai, car rental and Love Valley

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Caravanserai, car rental and Love Valley

We are visiting Goreme later this year with our three children. We arrive at Nevsehir early afternoon (day 1), have a full day in Goreme and around (day 2) and leave from Nevsehir airport at 7 pm on day 3.

We want to see as much as we can without being rushed and have a rough idea of what we might do:

Day 1 - visit Goreme Open Air Museum. I understand that there is a valley called "Love Valley" (not Bagildere Valley - I can see that on a map) somewhere between the Open Air Museum and Goreme but I can't find it marked on any map. We would like to walk back from the Museum through this Valley. Does anyone have this Valley marked on a map? Is it easy to find?

Day 2 - watch Balloons early in morning and then go to Derinkuyu to the underground city.

Later in the day walk Pidgeon Valley back to Goreme and then maybe to Pashabag at sunset.

Day 3 - Walk Rose/Red valley, maybe with a guide.

Find an authentic caravanserai to visit - maybe Agzikarahan on the way to the airport. Does anyone have any other suggestions of caravanserai to visit?

Any suggestions about this itinerary will be gratefully received. Also I am thinking we might hire a car at the airport but am not sure of the best sites to visit for bookings. I see Sixt have a site but have had difficulty with it.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Nevsehir
Nevsehir
Nevsehir Province, Turkey
Love Valley
Love Valley
278 Reviews
Goreme, Turkey
Red Valley
Red Valley
229 Reviews
Nevsehir, Turkey
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
539 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravanserai, car rental and Love Valley

The other 'Love' valley behind Göreme is called Körkündere and it's very easy to find it you don't really need a map. When walking back From the museum you pass a horse ranch on your left, then an ATV rental, ten there is entranze to Zemi valley and right next to it entrance to Körkündere, just before Touris Hotel. There are signs pointing to both valleys.

You should go to the museum early in the morning (it opens at 8) so that you'd be finished before groups arrive at 10. You can do the Rose valley sunset walk (about 3 hours) the same day as you won't spend more than 2 hours at the museum and a hike through Körkündere takes less than 1 hour.

If you rent a car, you can go to Derinkuyu (again, early morning before 10.30 is best) and after that go to Soganli valley, coming back through Mustafapasha and Ürgüp.

If you wish to go to Pigeon valley, I recommend hiking through Pigeon valley to Uchisar and not the other way round. Although it involves quite a bit of climbing up, it's actually easier than coming down, as some of the slopes are quite steep and slippery.

Another option is going to Ortahisar, which is less touristic, climbing to the castle there (better views than from Uchisar) and walking down to the old abandoned part of the village. If you have a car, you can come back through Devrent, Pasabag and Cavusin.

Mentioned in this post
Zemi Valley
Zemi Valley
535 Reviews
Goreme, Turkey
Soganli Valley
Soganli Valley
97 Reviews
Cappadocia, Turkey
Pigeon Valley
Pigeon Valley
1,759 Reviews
Goreme, Turkey
Uchisar
Uchisar
Cappadocia, Turkey
Pasabag
Pasabag
777 Reviews
Urgup, Turkey
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravanserai, car rental and Love Valley

Miasmith, thanks for your reply.

There seem to be a lot more options for variety if we have a car.

Just one more question - are there fairy chimneys everywhere or are they concentrated mainly in one particular region? What place in your opinion has the greatest number of chimneys? Thanks

3. Re: Caravanserai, car rental and Love Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 07:16