We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

Driving from Istanbul to Cappadocia at beginning of June......

Is there any "must see" places enroute?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

Are you planning on making the journey over a few days because it's over a ten hour journey?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

I'm a v fast driver ;) (2 days)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

There are definitely must see places along the way.

Option 1:

Istanbul to Safranbolu in Duzce to visit the Unesco heritage site of the old authentic Ottoman township.

From there drive to Hattusas to the 5000 year old ruins of the Unesco heritage original capital of the Hittite empire.

From there make your way to Kirsehir to visit the Cacabey Medrese (mosque) which was one of the earliest space observatories built 900 years ago where the locals not only used to worship their lord but also gaze at the stars figuring out the cosmos and galaxy.

Mind you these were happening at a time when Europeans were believing that the earth was flat and killing anybody that suggested otherwise.

Also visit the nearby Ahi Evran mosque

From there make your way to Saruhan caravanserai which is on the fringes of Cappadocia that is an 800 year old Seljuk built han/hotel complex which has been preserved in its original form.

Here is a list of all the other caravanserais in the vicinity which you would visit them at will with your car

Here is a map of the route http://goo.gl/maps/Fiuxg

Option 2:

Istanbul to Iznik for a quick look around at the ceramic manufacturing town of the Ottoman Empire

From there drive to Bilecik to view the home & tomb of the spiritual founding leader of the Ottoman Empire Seyh Edebali which is located in a picturesque location overlooking a valley

There is also the Orhan Gazi & Hamidiye mosques which are in the same complex

From there drive to Söğüt to visit the museum & tomb of Ertuğrul Ghazi whom was the father of Sultan Osman (founder of the Ottoman Empire).

From there head due south to visit the old Seljuk township of Beysehir nestled alongside a lake of the same name.

In this town you will find one of the most remarkable wooden mosques found in Turkey which needs to be visited to be appreciated that is the Unesco heritage listed Esrefoglu mosque.

Then head east to Konya which was the old capital of the Seljuk Empire.

Pending how you are doing for time you could make a quick detour to Çatalhöyük to visit the close to 10000 year old Neolithic ruins

From here it is a straightforward run to Goreme.

Here is a map of the route http://goo.gl/maps/Cd370

There are other things I could recommend you to do however these should be more than enough for you to do.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
437 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

Wow, ResmaN! That makes me want to cancel my flight and drive!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

ellasahar Turkey has so many historical & natural places to visit one could spend a lifetime and still not be able to see them all.

I prefer to drive between places using a rental car as that is the best way to see some of the places and also having the freedom & flexibility to go anywhere you want.

Fuel is costly but for the amount of beauties the country has to offer it is well worth it.

Here is the map of a drive I did 4 years ago with my family starting from Ankara for 14 days.

Car rental was 60 lira per day (longer you rent the cheaper it becomes).

We went through 2 or 3 tanks of petrol

Fuel costs 5 lira per litre

It was a fairly relaxed drive with lots of sight seeing as we travelled with 3 families us in a 2007 renault megane & inlaws and sis in laws in a 2006 hyundai starex 7 seater.

Comes to barely 160kms = 100 miles per day.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

Thank you "ResmeN" - that is fantastic!

I will have to sit down with maps and give this some serious thought!

Really looking forward to getting to see Turkey.

One consequence may be that I'll have to return and do it properly. ;)

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I decide.

Goreme, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

We are in Goreme and are driving to Istanbul tomorrow. That was a great list, thank you!

May I advise you get the skobbler offline map? We have used it in many countries and in Turkey it's been absolutely essential!!

It is only $10 and has saved our skins more than I can mention. Get it on Google play.

It has almost every tourist site you could ever want but is not good sat searches...

W also got the Michelin map from amazon and that was a great overview.

Enjoy the drive!!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

Binkerballs, of course you'll have to return and do it properly. No point driving so fast you miss everything!!!!!

9. Re: Istanbul - Goreme : Itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 07:16