We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goreme or Urgup?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
375 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Goreme or Urgup?

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Turkey May/June next year. We will have 4 full days in Cappadocia.

I know this question has been asked many times before and I've read the answers but I'm still confused. We prefer a less touristy destination as many others also do. I can't figure out which of these places has more of a local feel. Some people say Urgup every time, then others will say it is more like a town and Goreme is smaller and more quant with all the locals getting on with there daily lives.

We would like to stay in a proper Cave Hotel and do like good food. Also the Winery has its appeal. Urgup seems to win on that front. On the other hand when you look at photos of Goreme the Hotels seem to be surrounded by the beautiful landscape that everyone goes to Cappadocia to see.

So come on guys, which is it? Thoughts please.

HtR Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Balloon Rides
Rock Valley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Euphrates Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Kapadokya Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

Personally, it would be Göreme. It's not as touristy as some suggest, has plenty of cave hotels (e.g. Kelebek) and about the best (but fairly inexpensive) restaurant I've eaten in in Turkey (Alaturka).

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

Hello Kiwi,

I share my opinion with Dudisimo, I stayed in Avanos, but when we return I would prefer to stay in Göreme, so close to the open air museum and Rose Valley and there are weird rock formations in the centre as well.

I thought Ürgüp was a bit oversized and too developed.

And yes, Alaturka in the middle of Göreme is one of the best restaurants in Turkey!

Good luck!

3. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2008, 02:30
cheyenne
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

We are just back from Turkey and I have to say, I had this same dilemma before booking my hotel. We ended up at the Kelebek in Goreme. A perfect spot for us. Goreme is a nice little town, easy to walk in and close to the Kelebek. We just cruised through Urgup, and I just think it is too big and too overgrown and too much of a town. Goreme is smaller and I found it to be very nice. Not sure what you want, but for scenery and just overall quaintness, Goreme has my vote.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
375 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Considering this is the Urgup forum and everyone has said go with Goreme, thats where we will choose. Goreme sounds to be more of a small village as apposed to a town so it sounds more like what we are looking for plus I really would like to be in the middle of that beautiful Goreme landscape. Thanks again.

6. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2008, 17:43
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

I will just put in a vote for Urgup!

We were really pleased with our choice, as while we loved Goreme (and I agree about Alaturca being a fantastic restaurant) we found Goreme was just too full of tourists - and too geared to the tourists (carpet shops, tourist markey etc). For many people however, that is a plus!

Goreme is probably the prettier town as it is in the heart of the fairy chimneys, and there is the Open Air Museum, but we prefered Urgup which while a much larger town, isn't geared to the tourists as much and you see more of the local farming community.

Urgup also has it's cave hotels and the views in the evening are stunning.

You will enjoy either!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

We tried to go to Goreme, but couldn't get the hotel last minute. so we ended up in Urgup. Urgup has a hill of about 10-12 boutique hotels. And although they are boutique hotels, this area is still building up. They really are just old cave dwellings redone into small hotels. From the outside, this does NOT LOOK "touristy" nor "developed". its literally a bunch of converted caves on dirt roads. this hill is about a 15 minute walk to the center of town. maybe less or more depending on how much you stop to look around. The so called "developed" area was there with a very small town square.

We stayed in an incredibly charming place- "The Assiana Cave Inn". It had the most charm of the other four hotels we stayed in Turkey. i think it has 5 rooms. We did a review on this website. Nearby, there is a wonderful restaurant, with traditional food and a winery. On the walk down to the center, we passed three women cooking in a caldron on a fire in front of their house. you really felt you were in the heart of the country.

Cappadoccia is very beautiful but has several towns to be seen. It appeared that each area was famous for something different. but since you will be going around for 4 days, you will be sure to see the caves, fairy chimneys, underground city,and the cave castles and churches. it doesn't matter which of the these two towns you stay in. its a captivating place where ever you go--as confirmed by all the reviewers above!

9. Re: Goreme or Urgup?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:26