We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diyarbakir

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
diyarbakir

just wanted some general imformation am going out end of march and wanted to know bit more about safety, things to do places to go

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diyarbakir

If you Google Diyarbakır you will find lots of info about the city and it's history and cultural sites.

I do not imagine you will be alone whilst in the city so your host will be able to tell you which sections of the city are less comfortable for a female alone.The old section around the city walls and the old quarters' bazaar area are very interesting but you need to know that this is a predominantly poor city and quite run down.Don't go expecting lots of western style shops or entertainment. because you won't find them.Close enough for visits are lovely Mardin and also Hasankeyf-go and see this lovely place before they flood it for a new dam!Whilst at Mardin you could go to Midyat to Darul-Zafran Monestery which is interesting.A little further away but defo worth oing is Urfa which is beautiful.

In March it will still be cold there so take plenty of warm clothes and preferable nothing revealing either as this is a very traditional area.

Evening entertainment usually centres around visits to the homes of friends rather than bars.There are some bars but they are mostly of the low kind that a well bred female would not want to visit(you get the idea!).

For anyone interested in history and eastern Turkish culture then this is an interesting and very different place to visit but don't expect it to be like Marmaris or Bodrum or any other part of western Turkey and as a female your behaviour should be very circumspect and modest too as the society rules are quite different there.I liked Diyarbakır but can understand it would not be eveyones cup of tea :-)

Sedona, Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: diyarbakir

Hey Princess I noticed your query about Diyab. Did you visit the city? I am planning a trip to that region later this year. If you did visit, any comments or suggestions on hotels, sites or just wandering the city? Thanks in advance.

3. Re: diyarbakir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 06:32