We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Which Gaziantep hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois...
1 post
Save Topic
Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Hi,

I was just offered a job in Gaziantep. I am going to accept, but as a practicing Roman Catholic, I am concerned about finding a place of worship in this city. I would prefer a Roman Catholic church, but any Church that is in communion with the RCC is also preferable - this means most Orthodox churches.

Does anyone know of any information of Catholic churches or otherwise in Gaziantep? I am having trouble finding any information on the internet.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Felix, Apart from googling Catholic churches like others have done, I can not help you in that respect. However Gaziantep is a wonderful city to work and you will not regret it. Here's my recent trip report to the area: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5419…", and more on Gaziantep: "todayszaman.com/…".

good luck,

enigma...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

hi, are you sure that there is a practising church in Gaziantep ?

i don't think there is.I'm an Australia but born in Gaziantep.i regularly visit relatives and family,like this is going to be my 3rd time in past 8 months.i will be there again on the 6 th jan.

but goodluck with your new job,if exsits :-)

regards

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

The (latest) Lonely Planet guide to Turkey mentions a Catholic Church in Gaziantep, and shows its location on the map.But it does not say whether it is still functioning as a church or not.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

As i said..I'm in Gaziantep myself at the moment.got another couple of weeks before heading back home to Aussieland.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

As i said..I'm in Gaziantep myself at the moment.got another couple of weeks before heading back home to Aussieland.

Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Sorry, no churches in Gaziantep. There were 2 churches in the past, but now they have been transformed into other places. What a pity!!!!

Portland, Maine
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

There probably is not a Catholic church as "Catholics" have likely never lived there. Your best bet would be to find an Assyrian church (orthodox), because of all the Assyrian Christians fleeing Syria and re-settlings in Turkey.

http://www.ankawa.com/english/?p=8548

Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Actually french people had been living in Gaziantep as well during first part of XX° century. The big church which is visible close to Gaziantep Old District was a Catholic Church. Now it's a social club in its interior.

And I repeat: what a pity! it could have been an interesting museum for tourists. But it clear that the local government doesn't approve giving consideration to Christian heritage.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

Please do learn the story the right way before you write...

The French never lived in Gaziantep,they invaded it for a while but the people fought the invaders themselves without the help of the army.That's how Antep is now called GaziAntep,which Gazi means 'war veterans...

Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catholic Church in Gaziantep?

During the time of the fight french invasors built that church. So? The result doesn't change.

Even if that church was builted by the worst killers, it is a testimony of an historical period and it deservs to be left as original.

For those who love history and art it's a pity that the church is now used as social club with a big gigantophrafy of Ataturk at place of the altar.

Get answers to your questions about Gaziantep
Recent Conversations