We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in June to Buy a property

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in June to Buy a property

Hi there,

We are travelling in June to Altinkum to buy a modestly priced apartment/property, does anyone have any advice on the pitfalls and what we need to watch out for?, also where are the better areas to look in?, can anyone recommend a reliable property lawyer, reputable agent that you may have dealt with?

We would really appreciate your help and opinions regarding anything property related in Altinkum.

Kindest regards

Swoody

UK
Level Contributor
381 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Check out www.turkishliving.com

Loads of info on there.

barnsley uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

There is a new law out now(only this week) that as supposed to speed the process up ask about that first use only a trusted estate agent that as been established years see other forums for advice www.absolutelyaltinkum.co.uk is a good one if you are buying a apartment i should look at it as buying either for living or holiday home and NOT as a investment because there is thousands to choose from so it is a buyers market make sure its not in army land and negotiate the price down and main think make sure if buying any property there is a tapu in place the further from the beach the better the price

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Speaking from experience, check everything out very carefully - make sure all the paperwork is in order (tapu and habitation certificate). Do use a reliable lawyer - as suggested, Turkish Living Forum can be very useful for getting recommendations. Be careful about the emlak (estate agent) you choose and don't hand over all the money until the tapu is in place.

Remember about the extra costs of buying and don't forget insurances (dask - or earthquake insurance - is compulsory). Also check out any aidat (monthly maintenance charges) you will have to pay and see if there is a good management committee in place (with minutes of annual meetings and accounts you can see).

If I can help further, just ask.

Jak xx

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Agree with all of the above re TAPU etc. I would recommend being very careful about new builds as you could end up spending more to finish up all the loose ends many builders leave behind. There are so many selling now you should be able to pick up a re sale with any snags already sorted. If buying in a sitesi ( complex ) have a good look around it and check out who runs it and what the maintenance charge is - post on Turkish Living Forum and ask if anyone knows or has a house in any of the ones you may like the look of. Information is the key so don't be shy - ask ask ask. Check out the area very well , how do you want to use the house / summer only / all year etc rent a car or like the option of not -- all those things should be thought out. Also take

your time - don't rush into anything no matter what the agent says - there will always be

another one if you miss one. And you don't have to work with one emlak - you shop around and find one you like based on recommendations. In spite of a few sleepless nights along the way I have never regretted buying my property in Turkey so good luck.

Edited: 20 May 2012, 12:00
Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Hi BelisaUK ,

I have doen that and printed as much off as possible.

many thanks.

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Hi Bomkak,

Thanks you for your kind advice.

Regards

Simon

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Hi Jak,

Thankyou very much for yoyur assistance.

barnsley uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

from absolutely altinkum today Just read this on another forum. It has been posted by somebody who knows what he is talking about.

Just wanted to give people the info so that they can be extra careful.

Just been told (today) that Didim Tapu Office is not taking apps from Brits till further notice; The Law is in the process of getting changed, the last time the property purchacing law was changed it took atleast 12 months, so be careful what you do, it could be that you pay your money & it gives some people longer to put a debt on your property, Brits can however still sell their properties to Turks, this is not affected, I have also heard that Didim Tapu Office is under investigation again,again,again

p.s. another friend has phoned a solicitor to check this out, and it is correct.

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

Does anyone know the current progress of the tapu apps process??

Thanks

kiddy
Level Contributor
409 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling in June to Buy a property

I would never ever buy another property in Altinkum or Turkey for that matter.Dreadful occurrences that have lasted well over 5 years now.We bought off a very well respected builder at that time Ayhan Tavaci.I cannot repeat what our complex think of him and his partner at that time Mehmet Saruhan.They caused us all nothing but heartbreak and oceans of tears

Edited: 24 July 2012, 14:04
Get answers to your questions about Altinkum
Recent Conversations