We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

earthquake

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
earthquake

Just heard yesterday about the earthquake in Altinkum on Sunday!!

Can anyone tell me the latest please.

Worried!!

Thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: earthquake

Quakes are very common in Turkey.Last Sundays was one of several already this month in this area.Most you don't even feel though last Sundays was a bit of a rattle.There was no damage or injuries though.

Think of it this way.Lots of small Quakes ensure a continuous release of pressure but if there is no outlet the pressure builds and builds until..........you do get a big one.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: earthquake

Thanks for that Margaritavill That's reassuring.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: earthquake

Hello Raine,

İ am afraid you are being a bit wrong informed. Last Sundays earthquake was not just one of several already this month! İt was a major earthquake, but luckily just not a devastating one. The epicenter was off the coast of Ölüdeniz, with a strength of 6.0 on the scale of Richter and there were over 70 people injured. Even though it was felt as far as İzmir, it was pretty far from Altınkum. We are still having aftershocks, but they are nothing like the big one, they feels more like a heavy cargo train passing by.

Nevertheless, almost the whole of Turkey lies on fault lines, so there is always a chance for an earthquake. İ am living now 11 years in Turkey and this is my first real experience with mother nature's violence and İ do hope it is my last one.

The same as when you fly, there are safety instructions, it would be wise to be well informed so you know what to do, but the chances are really very very small.

Enjoy your holiday!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: earthquake

Thanks villaRhapsody

Glad we are not in Hisaranou like 2 years ago!!!

Heard nothing from Thomas Cook, so think everything is fine for our flight on 25/6.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: earthquake

Hi Villarhapsody,

What is the best advice in the unlikley event of this happening when we are on hols?

I would rather be slightly prepared!

Thanks

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: earthquake

How far is Ouldeniz from Altinkum?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: earthquake

I was speaking in relation to Altinkum as this is the Altinkum forum.That quake was near Olu Deniz which is, how far Rhapsody, about 6-7 hours drive from Altinkum?There was a much nearer one, off Kos last week too, much smaller.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: earthquake

Yes, you better be prepared, it is like flying and ignoring all safety guidelines.

İf you can get out go out, if you walk on the street stay a bit away from high building as debris could fall down. İf you are inside (or at sleep) be sure to have a bottle of water near to you. İf possible keep you mobile phone near you, a torch if you have one with you. And if it really starts shaking squad down in a corner of a room, best next to heavy furniture, under a heavy table, under a settee... and think of keeping a gap for air, so a few centimeters away. Keep your head down and cover your head with your hands.

İ have been living here for 11 years, and knowing the risk exists İ am only better prepared now. İt was a scare experience, but it did not scare me away out of the country or so. İt may sound weird but İ still feel safer here in Turkey. İ never have worries like İ always had in Holland... to mention a few: a woman alone, belongings, is the car locked, no sunglasses left inside (as that definitely results in broken windows and glasses gone even in bright day light.

Small earthquakes happen every day, sometimes a few, other days a lot. İ have felt a few small ones before this last big one.

Now İ know it does not need to be devastating at all.

Enjoy your holiday!

9. Re: earthquake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Altinkum
Recent Conversations