We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam in Altinkum

Blyth...
Level Contributor
730 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scam in Altinkum

Dont change your money at the shoe shop near the Sahin restaurant (under the Deniz Hotel) that has big signs giving inflated rates as it is a huge con.

They try to take your phones to stop you checking the rate, try to give you lemon cologne to distract you, try to exchange an obscure amount eliminating mental maths, and then give you a rate which looks convincing until you see him press the back button instead of the x button!

Very clever at it and nearly got away with over 200TL from us, when confronted the BIG brother tries to come to the rescue saying the higher rate is for purchasing their shoes.

Please be warned and dont fall for this as it is a SCAM.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Scam in Altinkum

Yes we just got back and we went to exchange £100 at 3.75 he said he did not have enough but could change £80 and his father would go to bank later and get more if we came back, he then showed us on his calculator how much we would get for £80 , he keeps talking to you to distract you from working it out, it was way out in the end I had to quite forcefully insist on my English money back took a while so just go to normal exchange places was about 3.50 which is fab.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Scam in Altinkum

So pleased you got your money back...you were lucky.

I visit Altinkum every year have done for many years and I know the people you are on about they are awful... every time I pass their shop to go to Tansas supermarket they forever try to get me to go in their shop.

They should be named & shamed...

united kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Scam in Altinkum

Tried doing this with my Dad. Went in wanting to change £200 but asked us if we wanted to change more. When we said no he tried saying he didn't have enough money and tried to supposedly call someone. Offered us about £150 I think and at this point the older brother came in, the lemon cologne was brought out and tried selling me shoes while the other guy argues with dad. Picked on the wrong person with my dad. Still advertising £.75 when we left yesterday

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Scam in Altinkum

This scam is alive and well, still advertising 3.75/£, I went in and got the waffle about his brother being at the bank and he didn't have enough lira to change £100.

So gave me back £15, and got his magic calculator out to offer me 244tl for my £85.

I then spoke to an English couple just after, who said he told them they needed to purchase something to get the rate.

Knotholes he and I had to argue with these people to get our own money back.

They pry on the vulnerable and this shoe shop needs to be shut down. The same scam is used for the euro and$.

Avoid at all costs!!!!!!

Just up the alley beside fast moods (no connection)

25. Re: Scam in Altinkum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Altinkum
Recent Conversations