We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

We will be on a cruise with a stop in Izmir and we would like to visit ephesus. Should I take the cruise excursion to ephesus or can I do it myself (taxi/bus ephsus and get a guide there)?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
41 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

You have both alternatives, which would function well. The first alternative is the cruise excursion, which would no doubt be cheaper. There are usually big coaches arranged by the cruise. With this alternative, you do not need to bother yourself about finding transport and guide.

You also have the chance to take a taxi at the port. You will find tens of them waiting at the port. You do not need to reserve a taxi in advance. These taxis at the port are controlled by the Izmir Chamber of Taxis and operate with fixed prices. At the entrance to Ephesus, you will find free-lance guides waiting for customers. There are two entrance gates to Ephesus-the upper gate and the lower gate. Most of them are waiting at the upper side of Ephesus.

I suppose you want an english speaking guide, which you find many of at the upper entrance.

One thing you should not do is to try the bus other than the cruise bus. This is time-consuming and complicated to sort out.

Best Regards

Sinan Tortum

stortum@yahoo.no

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Thanks Sinan Tortum............we appreciate the advice!!! Looking forward to our visit!

Toronto
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Been researching this sight, and no one talks about taking a bus to Ephesus. I have found out that it is possible. You take a cab to the main bus station (25$) in Izmir then the bus is 8 bucks to Selcuk, then a cab from Selcuk to Ephesus is just 4k away (do not know price but can't be much). A little adventurous perhaps. Any comments or cautions?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Nothing wrong with the bus, and I am sure some travelers choose this option. It's easier for most to just take a taxi from the port. Just make sure you that you get a firm price from taxi drivers. It is good to have a guide to see Ephesus. The ones at the gate are ok. We saw Ephesus the first time with a private guide and it greatly enhanced our visit. Here's a helpful link : www.kusadasi.biz/ephesus/ Happy Travel, LL

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Any idea as to the cost of the taxi trip? Cruise will be stopping at Izmir in couple of weeks time & trying to decide on ship excursion or taxi hire. Advice much appreciated

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

UkGordon...anywhere from around 80-100 turkish liras..I am basing this on the approximate costs from Selcuk to the Izmir airport..so prepare for the higher amount and be sure to negociate a price with the taxi before getting in...

if you cant ...then make sure the meter is running..it might alos take about 1 hr or possibly longer...I know that it take 50 minutes from Selcuk to the Izmir airport..

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Aegean/Izmir/tran…

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

Jamaica
Level Contributor
121 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

When I was in Turkey in March/April, I took a bus from Izmir to Selcuk and it was actually not bad at all. The complicated part would be getting to the bus depot in Izmir but once there it is fairly easy to see which buses are headed in that direction. Once in Selcuk, you should be able to find a taxi driver/guide to take you to Ephesus, which is a short drive away. Not sure about the taxi option from Izmir to Ephesus.

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

Trying to revive this topic......

I'm trying to get transportation from Izmir to Ephesus without having to do a tour. I think there is a bus? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

C.

9. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2009, 16:07
10. Re: Taxi/bus to Ephesus from Izmir?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Izmir
Recent Conversations