We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Toronto
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Our cruise offers a 4 hour tour for 62 bucks. With taxes that will work out to 200 for the three of us. With a 1 hour drive and the obligatory forced stop at a souvenir store, it will leave about 1:45 at the site. We are quite interest ed in these types of ruins. 2 questions. How much does a taxi cost each way and will we likely need more than the 1:45 to see the site. Please let me know. Thanks.

Are buses a vialble alternative and if so, how do you catch a bus.

Archaeologous
Sightseeing Tours
Ephesus Tour Travel
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Corsica
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Did you ever receive a reply to this post? What did you end up doing? We are having the same question...

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Perhaps if you gave us an idea of where you'd like to visit.... I'm assuming it's Ephesus but may be completely wrong!!!

Corsica
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Yes, we'd like to go to Ephesus.

We are thinking that we will get off the cruise ship and walk through customs, then find a taxi to take us to Ephesus. There are four of us in our group, so the cost is split 4-ways.

We will hire a private guide in Ephesus, and walk through the ruins. We will bring our own water and snack food, to save money.

After Ephesus, we will take another taxi back to Izmir, I think it will probably be just around lunch time, so we will ask the driver for a recommendation for a restaurant, or perhaps just purchase from street vender?

Then we will visit the old ruins located by the port,, then taxi to the local market area, walk to the roman baths, and then taxi to the castle... have coffee at the cafe overlooking the city... and then taxi back to the cruise ship.

It will be a very full day.

I think that we can hopefully do all of this for about $200 USD between the four of us.

What do you think? Is this possible?

Beirut
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Any answers for those who went? We are hoping to arrange the same type of day by taxi for four...

Corsica
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Just a quick update with our experience, now that our trip is finished (a while ago...).

---

It costs about $80 if memory serves me correctly, and was very simple. The taxi's are parked right outside the ferry port as you walk out. The prices are all listed on a sign, and there is no negotiation or discussion. There was a lady there who spoke perfect English who translated to arrange/confirm the price (which was posted, and we tried to negotiate a discount but it was not accepted), and put you into the "next" cab, since the driver's don't speak English.

Once we arrived in Ephesus (about an hour or so drive), he dropped us off at the gate, and then told us (well.. mostly with signs and gestures) that he would be waiting on the other gate to pick us up. Make sure you note what he looks like, and his cab number, since you'll find about 100 cabs on the other side waiting just like yours.

All in all, it was a good deal, and we enjoyed the trip very much. A bit rushed, though since we didn't have a lot of time.

We did hire a guide at the gate. We "shared" the price with several other couples who were there. I can't recall the price but I think it worked out to be about $5 each or so for the guide for a group of 6 or 7.

The guide was nice, but you should make 100% sure if you get one, that you can actually understand him. My wife and I had no problem, but we're from a place where there are lots of folks who speak poor english, so we have lots of practice. Several others in our group sharing the guide could not understand him at all and were constantly "being American" and treating him like an idiot because his accent was quite strong. :)

I hope that helps.

PS - After the trip to Ephesus, we actually asked our driver to drop us off at the market, and we walked around for quite a while. That was a lot of fun, although we left a bit late and JUST made it back to the boat (with about 1 minute to spare before they pulled the gangplank up...phew!)

If you choose to walk around the market (or city or whatever) after returning back from Ephesus, be sure to leave enough time to get back to the boat -- it might take longer then you think or remember.

(But it was *definately* worth going to the market to walk around the streets and shops, etc. So many interesting things to see and watch (and eat).

Beirut
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

Thanks!

Great tips.

7. Re: Cruise cost vs local taxi cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 21:18