We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten hours in Izmir next month

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Ten hours in Izmir next month

We will be on a cruise ship that is scheduled to dock at Izmir from 0800 to 1800 on Sunday, 12 April. We have always wanted to visit Miletus, and if possible, Priene and Didyma. By booking a private car and driver would it be possible to do these visits in such a short timeframe? I understand driving time to this area from Izmir is about two and a half hours. Naturally we would have to get back to the port well before sailing time. Any ideas?

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Can't anyone help me with this? I'd like to get something arranged before leaving on our cruise.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Hi settecento,

you may risk to miss your ship if you do this side trip to Priene, Miletus, Dydima etc.. If your cruise ship was docking at Kusadasi port then it wouldn't be a problem, but docking to Izmir makes distances larger so there is always the risk..

You can try it of course, at least to see one or two of these sites during your short time frame, but I don't think any local guide or agent would like to take that risk (I wouldn't).

Just to give you an example: by the time you leave the ship it will be 8:30, drive to Priene first in about 2-2,5 hours, then visit the site (at least 1-1,5 hours), now the clock is 12:30.. Drive to Miletus 15-20 minutes, visit the site (at least 1,5 hours), and then drive to Didyma in 20-30 minutes, your clock will show 15:00. Visit Apollo temple (at least half hour), have a quick lunch break (around half hour), then set off and now your clock shows 16:00. Drive back to Izmir (and refueling along the way) takes about 2,5-3 hours, now your clock is 19:00, and your ship is already gone !!!

Burak

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Thanks buraksan. I guess we'd better limit ourselves to Miletus and save the other two sites for another time. Do you know of any Italian-speaking guides at Izmir?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Yes, I personally know all of the italian speaking tour guides who live in Izmir but the problem is that there are very few of them and they're always busy when an italian cruise ship (Costa or MSC) docks at Izmir port. The travel agents who handle the land services of these two cruise lines even fly tour guides from Istanbul for the day, because like I said there are few of them in Izmir. All of the italian spk tour guides will be busy during those days, sorry.

Burak

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Thanks Burak, I appreciate your advice.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

I find it interesting that you aren't even considering Ephesus, which is closer to Izmir, and more popular.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Been there, done that (three times)!

NW Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Hi, What ship will you be sailing on, we will be there that date, US couple, maybe we could share a driver.

Carolyn

clcww@aol.com

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Costa Concordia. But we've decided it's too long a drive so we're just going to walk around Izmir and save the archaeological sites for when we can come and stay several days. Thanks for the offer.

NW Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ten hours in Izmir next month

Hi, I found a good tour in Athens, private driver for four for $35. each, for five hours. Are interested?

clcww@aol.com

Get answers to your questions about Izmir
Recent Conversations