We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

Which Izmir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

I would very much like to do day tour of Palmukkale . I plan to make a change on my return flight to Istanbul. I have a choice of 9:30 P.M flight on AtlasJet or 10:30 P.M flight on Onurair.

Both provide free shuttle to airport. Which pick up point will be closer from Urkmez hotel Selcuk?

If i choose to take the train from Selcuk to Izmir airport instead, what are the times the train leave from Selcuk in the early evening?

thanks so much for helping out. I checked the train schedule but don't understand it

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

The last train leaves Selçuk at 19.18 so that would get you to the airport in ample time for either flight but why bother when both of these airlines have a free shuttles service?Both companies depart from outside the Council Offices in the centre of town.I guess the later flight would give you chance to have dinner before leaving Selçuk but if there is a big price difference go for the cheapest one :)

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

If I change the time to 9:30 P.M. for my paid ticket on Atasjet, the change penalty is $15 U.S. Right now it is for departure at 2P.M which means I won't be able to do a day tour of Palmukkale.

If I just purchase a one way ticket on Onurair for the 10:30 P.M flight, it will cost $32 U.S.

I am leaning towards just buying the ticket on Onurair since the difference is only $17 U.S. more ($15 for change fee, $32 for one way ticket) This way, I have a choice to either fly back to Istanbul in the afternoon and have 6 1/2 days in Istanbul or stay in Selcuk and do the Palmukkale tour, fly back in the late evening and have 6 full days in Istanbul.

What do you all think?

Edited: 29 January 2012, 15:11
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

Yes it's worth doing.32USD isn't the end of the world is it and the extra few hours will enable you to see this extra place.

With a 14.00 flight basically the whole day is shot which is a pity.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

Thanks very much for your help.

I will just book the one way ticket on Onuair. I have written to a couple of tour operators about the day tour to Palmukkale. They say I should be back at the hotel by 6 to 6:30 P.M which should give me enough time to walk to pick up point at 7 P.M but rather not be rushed. I would need to go back to hotel to pick up luggage and then to pick up shuttle stop.

Much rather pay extra $17 U.S and take later flight at 10:30 P.M just in case i don't get back by 6:30 P.M. And beside, if I do, I can have a nice dinner at Selcuk before flight to Istanbul or hang out at the Airport lounge at Izmir airport. I have a Priority Select pass which will give me free access to airport lounge.

5. Re: Help with transportation from Selcuk to Izmir airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Izmir