We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Hi TAs,

I'll be visiting Pamukkale in early May & I am planning on arriving in Izmir at 2:45PM & then pickup a pre-booked rental car. I'd like to see sunset at Pamukkale traventines. According to Google Maps, it's 225KM, 3.25 hours along O-31/E87 and D320/E87. If this is correct, I should be fine with a short break.

Do you guys think, the above driving times are correct & it's the fastest route? Is it easy to be out of the Izmir airport fairly quickly?

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Forgot to mention, sunset will be ~8PM, I think I should be at the traventine around 7:30.

Thanks in advance!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Yes you should do this comfortably.I assume you are coming in on a domestic flight and so will clear through the airport quickly and your car hand over should be straight foward too.

So let's say you are leaving the airport by 15.45 at the latest(but probably before this).As you come out of the airport you are straight onto the motorway link road,the D550 which is well signposted onto the E87 otoyol(don't forget to get a KGS toll card from the car hire company).This will take you down to Aydın,through Nazilli and into Denzili then up to Pamukkale.

You don't have to cross Izmir city centre at all as the airport is south of the city and you will be ahead of the rush hour traffic too.Even allowing for a break you can be in Pamukkale by 19.00 very comfortably without breaking the speed laws.

Yes,sunset will be around 20.00 first week of May.

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Thx, Sarikanarya!

RE: KGS, Avis told me that would cost 42 TL (non-refundable). Seems like, it's possible to stop before the toll booths, & go into the office to buy a TCK toll card, and have them load credit. Is that true for getting out of Izmir airport? Seems like the only toll I need to pay for my entire trip (after Pamukkale, I'll be going down the coast from Fetiyeh to Antalya along D400), is from Izmir airport to Aydin. If it would be close to 42TL, I'll buy that but if it's much lower I'll by those TCK cards if possible.

RE: Best Route, from highway,

- is it better to get to Pamukkale via Uzerlik-Yakarisamli-Develi (as shown on Google Map) or

- go via Denizli-Korucuk (per Bing Map)

- Are the signs quite well-posted to Pamukkale on D320/E87?

Thx!

Edited: 30 March 2012, 20:48
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

No,you don't need to go right into Denizli;after you pass through Beylerbeyi you will come to a junction on the left signed for Üzerlik,it will also indicate for Pamukkale travertines on a brown sign with white lettering,also for Hierapolis too.Turn off here and follow the road to the first main junction on your right signed for Çeltikçi(plus again signs for Pamukkale),at Çeltikçi hang a left which takes you straight up into the village.

These are all decent roads and indeed the large tour buses use them too.

Sounds like a lot of twisting and turning but actually right from the airport it is a very straight forward journey,nothing like as complicated as it reads :)Just follow every Denizli sign until after Nazilli and then follow the turn offs as above.

Hmm,that is a lot of money for one motor way run so I'd try to buy just a single use card.

It is a while since I was along that road and must admit I don't know the exact situation regarding the card required for it now..Hopefully someone else on here has been there recently and can tell you but if not e mail the rental company to ask them.

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Thx, Sarikanarya!

Per research thus far it seems that:

The toll to Aydin will only be 2.75TL.

There's apparently an office next to toll plaza.

The min I can buy on first time load is 15TL

I've sent out a few mails to confirm this. If any TAs know these, that would be great too.

For the drive, seems like I can easily follow Denizli and then Pamukkale all the way to the traventines. Think, north entrance might be better than the town entrance to see the nature in action at sunset :)

Any feedback/confirmation to the above assumption is appreciated :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

If you want to enter from the north then you'll need to follow the Yukarısamlı signs.Personally I think you'll be there well before sunset and will be sitting with a cup of tea relaxing and waiting for it :)

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

I bought a KGS card last year - the card was 5TL and 15TL credit on it, I don't know if that was the minimum credit but from what you say, maybe it was.

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Thanks for the tip regarding following Yukarısamlı, Sarikanarya. Yeah, I'd like to be on the top of the hill for sunset. So, seems like I'll be going thru Uzerlik-Yukarısamlı -Develi into the traventine north entrance. Guess, there will be a sign for Hierapolis too?

Thx!

Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

Did this drive last Thu :) Took 3 hours to my hotel in Pamukkale. Checked in & went to the traventine around 7:30. What a site! It was bit foggy so the sunset wasn't the best but still worth visiting at that time. Got dark during last 10 mins on our way back, not enough lighting. Went back again the next day for full experience of the site including Hieropolis. It's the south entrance that takes you to the top of the hill which I took and is close to the town.

Thx so much for help, sarikanarya!

Goleta, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Izmir to Pamukkale Drive

I'm planning this same trip but arriving 1030 to Izmir, will that give me enough time to stop by either Ephesus or Aphrodisias?

Get answers to your questions about Izmir
Recent Conversations