We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izmir to Ephesus

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Izmir to Ephesus

My friend and I are arriving in Izmir on Nov. 25th, and wish to go to Ephesus to just walk around by ourselves and do some shopping. We are not too interested in the tours. Any suggestions for transportation? and is this possible or recommended. We are touring in all the other ports and just want to explore alone in this one. I have read a little about the train system, just wondering if the travel time and train times will make it worthwhile. Any help would be appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

If renting a car is in your budget, you should definitely consider it. The roads are easy to navigate and you get to drive along the gorgeous coast at your leisure. Consider staying in Selcuk and driving from there to Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary. You can also drive 15 minutes to Kusadasi if you want to see a super touristy beach town (not for everyone).

I don't know about the train, but the buses from Izmir to Cesme were simple to figure out and inexpensive.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

There will be a number of factors involved and both the time ashore and the hour this is at will be the major consideration. It will take about 1.5 hours from the cruise terminal to Selcuk if driving (the traffic can be anywhere from great to dreadful) and return. There are plenty of local buses Izmir to Selcuk from the main otagor (bus station) - roughly hourly. Some bypass Selcuk onto Kusadasi so check carefully.

The train also runs from the Izmir station to Selcuk (see the maninseat61 website for times). Get a cab into the station.

Another option depending on budget is to hire a taxi at the terminal and negotiate a day rate to do what you want.

One thing to seriously consider is getting back to the ship on time. If you miss the ship is it going to be a major problem if you are travelling independantly? You could perhaps do a deal with the cruise director and ask if you could arrange to be transported by them but walk the site on your own, get a taxi into Selcuk and then meet the bus back at a nominated place. They may agree.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

I've just re read this and have assumed from your post you are cruising and coming into Izmir and not Kusadasi? If in Kusadasi it is so much closer a local minibus will take you there in about 25 minutes.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

Desatils of trains from Izmir's Basmane Station are here: www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm#.UF1rpY3iamM

Jus scroll a little way down to " Train routes, schedules & fares within Turkey..." and then click on "Izmir - Selçuk (Ephesus) - Denizli (Pamukkale)"

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

Thank you so much. All the information is so helpful. We will take the train and do Ephesus by ourselves now.

6. Re: Izmir to Ephesus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Izmir
Recent Conversations