We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

Will we encounter crazy, dangerous drivers if we rent a car at Izmir airport, spend the night in Sirence, then drive to Bodrum? The one way drop off fee will be steep, but its the drive and highways I'm worried about from what I hear!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

You'll be fine, driving in Turkey is not as bad as rumoured.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

I also rent a car from izmir airport several times in winter season ( because there is no flight to Bodrum airport in winter) but i always rent from a Bodrum local company, a driver comes from bodrum and return to bodrum together ( of course he drives back to Bodrum ) i only pay petrol costs.

if you like you can ask them for that service, their web site is

Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

The roads from Izmir to Bodrum are good and I've not encountered any really crazy driving. Really it's fine.

Level Contributor
1,323 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

Be careful on the road to Sirince as it is quite narrow and winding and watch for animals on the road. If travelling this bit at night exercise a little more care as some tractors don't have good lights.

The other roads are very good. There are a number of very good cafes etc which overlook Lake Bafa. Perfect spot to stop for lunch.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

From Izmir airport to Selcuk is an easy 50 minute drive, mostly ultra-modern motorway (be sure to check how the TOLL is paid, with your rental company).

From Selcuk up the hill to Sirince is delightful, but narrow, winding and quite tricky at night. Road surface is OK. At weekends there may be some drinkers and/or big tour buses on their way down.

Selcuk to Bodrum takes you past Priene, Miletus and Didime, but also Herakleia under Latmos is well worth a visit, on Lake Bafa. The road along the lake is being converted to dual-carriageway, so there are some rough patches and delays right now.

If you go direct Selcuk to Bodrum is a 3 hour drive, averaging 70-80 km/hr.

The last section, from Milas to Bodrum itself, is pretty swift. Your main danger may well be police radar traps. Check speed limits and don't exceed them by more than 10%.

All major roads in Turkey have been hugely improved in the last few years.

6. Re: Drive izmir airport to Bodrum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 09:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now