We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Which Izmir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

We would like to rent a car in Izmir, drive to Selcuk, use it to go to Ephesus and Sirince and then drive to Pammukkale stopping ay Aphrodisias on the way. From there we will drive to Bodrun.

How is the driving that I have described? Is there a highway? Or am I on rural, unmarked roads. I assume a Garmin can direct me or am I wrong?

If I don''t drive are there buses?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

This is a very easy route to do and all on main roads(many are toll roads)which are in good well maintained condition,well sign posted and well used-no deserted remote roads.

Onc you leave the main road to go to Aphrodisias you drive on smaller roads but as they lead to a major site they are again well signed and kept in good condition.

Only a very nervous driver would have any difficulty with this trip.Any navigation device will help you but frankly you can do it without one.It is a pleasant scenic journey so allow yourself some photography stopping time too :)

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,944 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Jane L, welcome to Turkey.

In fact I have rented a car at Selcuk and driven it around for 3 days rather recently. Have a look at my trip report based upon personal travel experience: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…". Most of the roads you will be driving on are double carriage 4 lane divided highways in excellent condition and well sign posted. Here is the suggested route for you: "http://goo.gl/maps/nQrqT". This route does not allow backtracking so you will see new places and new countryside scenery on the way to Bodrum. Here is a good online road map for Turkey by Turkish Highways Directorate: "kgm.gov.tr/SiteCollectionImages/…Turkiye.jpg"

Gas is expensive in Turkey. So rent a diesel economy car that is stingy on fuel. A navigator like Garmin can be of great help especially at the rural roads. Also get a good road map: "http://tinyurl.com/bgvjt7a". If you rent the car at Izmir and not in Selcuk, then you would need a HGS sticker for the toll roads. You can get it from the car rental agency.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 27 February 2013, 08:37
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Thank you. Very helpful. Do you have a recommendation for a car rental agency? Is there a difference between renting on Izmir or Selcuk?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Thank you. Very helpful. Do you have a recommendation for a car rental agency? Is there a difference between renting on Izmir or Selcuk?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

You'll have far more choice of agencies in Izmir than little Selçuk.Try www.economycarrentals.com Often they don't require a remote drop off payment and their prices are good.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

"We would like to rent a car in Izmir, drive to Selcuk..."

When you say Izmir, I'm guessing you mean Izmir airport? If so there are plenty of rental agencies at ADB and the road from there to Selcuk is easy and quick - about 50 minutes, mostly by 3-lane motorway. If you have booked a hotel in Selcuk, you might ask them for a transfer from the airport, and they can arrange car hire in Selcuk after a day or so while you wander about and acclimatise.

Selcuk is indeed small, but there are at least 5 rental agencies, and if their cars are all booked up I'm sure they can fetch one from Kusadasi.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Thanks. Good information. I think we will arrive in Selcuk on the 24th late afternoon. We are flying from Kayseri to Izmir. Do we need a car to explore Ephesus? At this point I am planning two days for Ephesus and perhaps some time at another site we can visit easily from Selcuk. What do you thinnk of going to Sirince?

We will leave the morning of the 27th for Pammulke via Aphrodesia. Perhaps we can pick up the car that morning and save some money. What do you think?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,545 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Yes,you could do that as you don't really need a car around Selçuk and Ephesus.There is a frequent bus service to Şirince and if you want to go up to Marys House you can do a deal with a taxi driver to take you there and back.Most hoteliers are happy to drop their guests off at the gates of Ephesus too.

The only thing I am uncertain of is whether the hire companies now in Selçuk are national one or local.If the latter they may not allow remote drop off's.Robert as you're there in the town,do you happen to know if they are the big national hire companies or local?At one time they were all only local businesses.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

The local car hire people are not big national companies, for sure, but I believe they have arrangements with Bodrum and Marmaris rental offices.

Most of my visiting friends spend 3 days pottering about Selcuk before renting a car. They can do Ephesus, St John's Basilica, Isa Bey Mosque, the Saturday and/or Wednesday market, Sirince and even the Tuesday market in Tire without a car.

Other places to visit are the ruins of the Temple of Apollo at Claros and the half-excavated Stadium at Magnesia, both 30 minutes away by car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Izmir Airport to Selcuk to Bodrum

Robert, can you recommend a car rental company in Selcuk who will allow me to drop off in Bodrum? Based on what everyone has said, no point in having a car in Ephesus. We will pick it up leaving town to drive to Aphrodesia. Thanks.